Chapter 4: surprise or surprised?

Disclaimer: I don't own miraculous ladybug or any of its characters.

The next morning, Marinette woke up surprisingly early and for the first time in three weeks, she wasn't in a rush to school. She was happily humming to herself and thinking of all the ways to catch Alya by surprise. She could not wait to see Alya's reaction to her little present for her. The previous evening, Marinette had spent a whole hour editing and printing the pictures of Alya and Nino she had taken at the cinema and then made a collage with them. She had designed it with a Marinette touch and wrote 'Congratulations!' on the top.

After Nino had confessed and they kissed, Alya had sent Marinette a short message that read 'I have a surprise for you tomorrow!' because she wanted to see Marinette's reaction to the news face-to-face. She had even forbidden Nino to tell it to Adrien so that she could surprise everyone. What Alya did not know is, Marinette and Adrien already knew.

Adrien on the other hand, could not wait to show the video to Nino. He could imagine the look on Nino's face.

For the first time, Nino was excited to go to school. He was excited about a whole other bunch of things; to see her girlfriend again to confirm that yesterday had not been a dream, to tell the whole world that Alya was his girlfriend. How would Adrien react? He might be angry that he did not tell him earlier but that was unlikely. Adrien would mostly be excited or even confused. But one thing Nino was sure about is that he would be astonished.

Alya was the first to get to school that day, as usual. She was on her tippy-toes trying not to spill it to the whole world before she got to tell Marinette what had happened at the cinema. She kept fidgeting with her fingers while she impatiently waited for her best friend. To distract herself, she took out her phone to update her ladyblog. Just then Adrien entered.

Adrien was in a good mood. He noticed Alya fidgeting with her fingers. Nino hadn't told him the news yet, so he assumed that Alya hadn't told Marinette either. No wonder the girl was excited.

"You seem to be in a good mood," Alya commented.

"You too," Adrien replied.

"I am! I have a surprise for Marinette," she said.

"Coincidentally, I have a surprise for Nino too," Adrien remarked.

"Oh," Alya hummed. He has a surprise for you too, Alya thought as a sly smirk graced her features.

Just then Marinette entered. Adrien waved at her and she blushed. A moment later, Nino followed. Alya marched towards Nino and Nino locked eyes with her. They smiled at each other and turned to Marinette and Adrien, behaving in sync.

"Guess what happened at the movies?" Alya asked with a wide grin plastered on her face.

"I don't know," Marinette said mockingly.

"Let me guess," Adrien said with a smirk.

"Maybe this happened!" Marinette exclaimed while Adrien mumbled "Was it this?" at the same time, both producing their pictures and videos from last night. Marinette blushed slightly at Adrien's intimacy and their similiar reaction, but at the moment, she prioritized her present (the pretty collage) for Alya over her feelings.

"What on hell?" Nino cursed, taken by surprise.

"You guys knew!" Alya exlaimed, looking a little dismayed. She took the collage from Marinette to observe the gift better. "It's beautiful," she said gratefully. "It's so pretty. But I'm still bummed."

"You know, the fact that you are bummed by simple pictures, but I have the whole video of you kissing," Adrien smirked smugly.

"Agreste, I thought you were a sweet sunshine child. Why would you do this to your best friend?" Nino sighed, and pressed the play button. It was a cute video heavily edited with music and filters. It was admittedly really well done and something Nino wanted to keep, but he had some pride and he wasn't going to admit that. Gotta protect the hippie image, you know?

"You edited it well. Must be from all the hours you spend making fan edits of lady—Ow!" Nino winced in pain as Adrien elbowed him at the ribs.

"Did you set us up? I mean how is it possible both of you were absent at the same time," Alya observed. "Unless, you two are secretly dating!" "No!" Marinette protested quickly. "It's nothing of that sort!" Adrien added. Both teens looked flustered and were blushing.

"Then you guys should start dating already," Nino said as he walked away with his new girlfriend, leaving behind two crimson red idiots.