Chapter 10: Enjoy the Good

~ Enjoy the Good ~

1 May 1950 ~ Enzo

I was actually surprised to hear that Damon blames his brother for all of this. I also think he is wrong to do so. I told him so too, but he wouldn’t listen to me.

‘You’re blaming your brother because he isn’t here right now?’ I had asked.

‘No, I’m blaming him for turning me and therefore for getting me here.’ He said suddenly irritated.

‘He didn’t turn you, Damon. If anyone’s to blame, it is Katherine.’ Ruby disagreed and Damon looked at her in surprise; probably because she knew the woman’s name while he never mentioned it. ‘What? Eric told me your story.’

‘Maybe he didn’t turn me, but he did force me to complete the transformation. And blaming Katherine wouldn’t really help since she is dead.’ Damon responded while rolling his eyes to Ruby.

‘Why blaming the dead when you can blame the living.’ I muttered and Damon gave me a smirk. ‘Exactly.’

‘Damon, you have family. I don’t. You should be happy there is someone out there who cares for you.’ I had said and I felt Ruby agree with me before she even said it out loud.

‘Enzo is right. He is probably worried about you right now. I have no one waiting for my return either.’ Ruby said with a reassuring voice, but Damon just laughed.

‘My brother worried?’ He laughed again. ‘Oh no, he has no idea I’m even gone. I haven’t seen Stefan in years.’

‘I get you and your brother have problems, but at least you have a brother to have problems with.’ Ruby whispered and I knew she was thinking about her sister Theresa. That is something she hadn’t told Damon.

That was about a week ago. I know what date it is. The first of May; the sun must be shining outside and the birds must be whistling. But none of us will be seeing the first signs of spring; we will be locked up in here, while the world just moves on. There is nobody to remember me or Ruby and Stefan doesn’t even know his brother is missing. The birds won’t stop sing, the flowers won’t stop growing and the people won’t weep over the fate of three vampires.

No, the time will go on as it has for over ten years. No one will be coming for us. Even if Stefan found out his brother is gone, he will never figure out where he is. The Society is very good at keeping the Society a secret. No vampire ever came out to brag about it. No human other than the ones who are a member of the Augustine will have ever heard that name.

If we don’t get out of here ourselves, we will die sooner or later. New Years Eve is our only shot. If we don’t succeed the three of us are as good as dead.

It is morning now and we are waiting to see whose turn it is today. I’m guessing it will be Ruby but I can’t be entirely sure.

Speaking off, Ruby is doing a good job with Mathew. I don’t know why that thought makes me sort of angry, but seeing Ruby even saying a thank you with a faint little smile makes my blood boil, though it was entirely my idea.

I hardly have the time to think about when I hear Whitmore shows up as usual. This time Damon heard him before we did. He is getting stronger, but the blood sharing keeps Ruby and I alive.

As suspected, Whitmore approaches Ruby’s cell and opens the door without even glancing at Damon or me.

Ruby gives me a look as the doctor drags her away; don’t do anything, I’ll be fine. She must have sensed I was about to scream at Whitmore to take me, but her look does its work and shuts me up. When they are gone, I start to pace up and down in my cell until the screaming starts. Then I force myself to sit down on the ground.