Bonus Chapter: Mathew's story

Bonus chapter: Mathew’s story

24 February 1960 ~ Mathew

Ten years has passed since the day I freed Ruby and Enzo from the fire that burned my house down. Even though only half of it was left – the part that had less memories, since it had been used less – I couldn’t get myself to leave. Of course, being the oldest Whitmore and the only adult I got all of my fathers money and what was left of the house and the surrounding ground. Trying to sell the dump it had become was a waist of time for my. Besides, where would I go? Buy a house for myself? What’s the use in that? My father is gone and so is my brother. I know Ruby will take good care of him and love him like family, but it still hurt knowing he’ll never be able to return to the mansion. Or at least, I thought he’d never return.

I got a letter from Ruby a few weeks ago. They had heard of my marriage with Cassandra and wanted to meet her, if that was what I wanted. Her exact words were: ‘Scott has been so sad he couldn’t be at the wedding, he really wants to know the woman his brother has married.’

Yes, meeting Cassandra was the best thing that ever happened to me. I was feeling bad on a sunny summer day, so I decided to do what always makes me feel better; buying books to add to the library – which has luckily survived the fire. She was there, reading a book with the most distracted face, entirely consumed in her book, her eyes skimming the words and consuming them with a speed I’ve never seen anyone read before. The first thing that struck me was her hair. Beautiful red hair, falling loosely over her shoulders and the perfectly matching green eyes. I averted my eyes away from her; not only was she reading, but why would she ever take notice of me? So I just walked up and down the aisle, just taking a book from the shelves without really thinking about it. It was one from a writer I knew so I just grabbed it, not being able to get that girl out of my head. She was sitting in the reading area and I decided to join her, even though I doubted I’d be able to read. As I set down, she didn’t notice anything and I was surprised by her ability to read in such a loud store. After about half an hour of reading her book and me only being half way through the chapter, she looked up. Our eyes met and she smiled brightly.

That’s when I knew she was it.

Now I was looking at her again, sitting in our new house, reading a book. I still owned the old mansion, but after marrying Cassandra I never wanted to live there again.

I’m restless today. I’m finally going to see my brother again. Even seeing Ruby and Enzo again makes me restless. I wonder how they’ve been doing. I know from Ruby’s letter they haven’t found Damon yet. After all this time I still haven truly forgiven Damon for turning Scotty. If he hadn’t he’d still be here, living in this same house. But on the other hand, maybe I’d never have gone to the bookshop that day and I’d never have met Cassandra. Then other people would be living here today.

‘Mathew, stop being so nervous. Maybe it will be weird, but what makes you think Scott has changed? He’s still your brother.’ I hear and turn to see Cassandra has looked up from her book, which is very rare to happen. I smile at her. Yes, she knows everything. About my father, vampires and Scott.

She even knows I used to like Ruby. But that was exactly the point; I liked Ruby, but I love Cassandra.

‘How can you act so calm? You’re about to meet your first vampires.’ I mention, joining her on the couch.

‘Well, if they’re your friends, they can’t be that bad.’ She replies, leaning against me.

‘No, they’re actually pretty good. Although, Lorenzo can be pretty blunt sometimes.’