Chapter 17: Unwelcome

~ Unwelcome ~

26 September 1950 ~ Ruby

Mathew’s words struck me like lightning. In the week that Whitmore has been gone, everything in here seemed better; no torture, a nice Mathew and an occasional extra shot of blood. It is nice to wake up in the morning and actually feel good about waking up. Before, waking up meant torture was close. Which was torture already.

After hearing Mathew say it, my heart sinks down.

‘He just got here- I sneaked out to warn you…’ Mathew says a little out of breath – apparently he has run all this way.

‘Won’t he notice you’re gone?’ Enzo asks, suddenly just as worried as the rest of us.

‘No, I told him I’m in the library. The last time he entered the library was when my mother was still alive, so I guess we are safe.’ Mathew answers, hesitating at the words ‘mother’ and ‘alive’. I suddenly feel even more sorry for him. I decide not to say anything about it now – we’ve got bigger problems up our sleeve now.

‘Okay, good.’ I say, my mind spinning at full speed. ‘Did he succeed with the serum?’

‘He thinks he has.’ Mathew answered while putting his hand in his hair. ‘Look, I’m sorry this is happening. But since this is just the second experiment, I don’t think it will work.’

‘Well, your apologies aren’t saving us from that freaking serum now does it?’ Damon sneers and it is rather creepy considering the circumstances.

‘Damon, shut it. We need to think this through and we can use all the help we can get.’ Enzo hisses to him.

Irritation rushes through my veins like poison; we don’t have time to argue.

‘Mathew, you should get out of here before your father gets here.’ I say, completely ignoring the boys. He nods, but he doesn’t turn to leave. He looks like he wants to say something else, but I don’t give him a chance.

‘Go!’ I shout almost in panic; we finally got Mathew to trust us and if Whitmore finds out about his son’s loyalty towards us, Mathew is going to pay the price. He finally leaves, taking the stairs two steps at a time, the way the came down here.

When I look at the boys I see their eyes mirror exactly the fear I’m feeling right now.

‘What now?’ Damon asks while his blue eyes keep going from the stairs back to me.

Why is he looking at me? As if I know the answer?

I run my hand through my hair and suppress the urge to shout at him. I’m about to say I’ve got no clue, when Enzo stops me.

‘Nothing.’

I stare at him like he has grown two heads – that would even make more sense than what he is saying. How does he want us to do nothing?

‘What the hell do you mean; nothing?’ Damon says with the same disbelieve as I’m feeling.

‘Just what I say: nothing.’ Enzo says. He puts up his hand before Damon can argue. ‘Just think about it; Mathew thinks the serum won’t work anyway and there is really nothing we can do. Whitmore has multiple Vervain syringes and he isn’t stupid. He knows we know what he is up to and he will use those syringes against us.’

I feel my entire body slump down, knowing every word he says is true. My knees give out and I feel them scrap on the dirty ground. Before I know it water fills my eyes and I witness one drop falling on the ground, mixing with the sand until it colors brown.