Epilogue

Epilogue

21 June 2014 ~ Ruby

I rip the aqua blue curtains away from the window, letting the early morning light into the rented motel room. Following the dancing dust parts in the sunrays with my eyes, I look at the king-sized bed, standing against the east side of the room. Apparently, Enzo doesn’t mind the sunlight, judging by his soft breathing – that is very close to snoring though he’d never admit that. Sighting, I look outside. Yes, it is early in the morning and no traffic is to be seen on the road next to our motel. Even the animals seem to be sleeping as I lean closer to the window to hear any noise outside. Maybe the outside world is just as nervous as I am. We’re just miles away from Mystic Falls, almost within our reach. I’d wanted to drive over there at night, but Enzo assured me it would be better to get a good night sleep. Not that I’ve gotten one. Glancing back at Enzo, I’d say he’s slept through the night, just like Scotty did.

My nerves knot my stomach and I decide it’s time to leave. Three backpacks are already set neatly next to the door and I can’t stay inside a second longer. I jump from one side of the room to the other with my vampire strength and hit the soft mattress. The impact makes Enzo’s body bounce up and down and he groans something that sounds like ‘go away woman’.

‘Lorenzo, wake up. Get your ass out of bed, we’re leaving.’ I say, trying to pull away the blanket, but he just pulled it further over his head.

‘Let me sleep.’

‘As your girlfriend I have the right to wake you up, you know.’ I say, poking where his side must be under the blanket.

‘Remind me to break up with you later, will ya?’ He groans as he twists away from me.

‘Not funny. Besides, you’re best friend will think he’s seeing a ghost soon, so I’ll have to be there to convince him you’re not in fact a ghost.’

Another groan from under the blanket reminds me of his moody mornings.

Then Enzo’s hand suddenly grabs my wrist and yanks it down. I’m so surprised that within a second he has me with my back on the mattress, wrists cuffed by his hands and he’s smirking down at me. I didn’t even had time to shriek.

‘Didn’t I teach you to expect the unexpected? I can’t believe you never got yourself killed in all these years.’ He says with a little disbelieve. The nervous knot in my stomach is replaced by some other kind of feeling now my surprise has faded a little. Enzo must have seen it because his already dark eyes darken even more. Probably only a vampire would’ve noticed, but maybe not even then. I got to know Enzo’s ways really well in the last sixty years.

Enzo’s body is pressing down on mine, me fully clothed and ready to go and he only wearing boxer shorts. I could’ve struggled out of his hold since he wasn’t holding me too tightly, but I didn’t want too suddenly. Enzo leans down and kisses me slowly and gentle. Since my hands are still unavailable for me to be any use, I kiss him back less gentle, pushing my body up. I can feel him smile against my lips.

‘You still wanna break up?’ I mutter as our lips brush lightly and Enzo releases my wrists and slides both of his hands down over my arms, making me shiver. Even after al those years, you’d think every touch would be familiar. And it is in a way, but on the other side it is just as alien as when we first started dating.

‘Maybe I should reconsider.’ Enzo says in a raw voice that made my stomach clench even more.

Suddenly, I hear a groan from the other side of the room. If I were to be on top I would’ve jumped off, but since Enzo doesn’t care about anything we remain as we are, my face lighting up on fire as I realize I totally forgot Scott is still there.