Chapter 11: Circles and Lines

~ Circles and Lines ~

20 May 1950 ~ Enzo

It seems that everything starts with a circle - or should I say a ritual? The days and nights here in Augustine form a circle of ritual. Every day seems the same; we try to sleep at night, in the morning one of us is taken for torture while the others are forced to listen to there suffering and in the night we get blood. And the next day the same things happen again. Even the torture itself is a circle; Whitmore always uses the same tools, in the same order, in the same way. And now he has also fallen into a ritual of who he is going to torture. First me, then Ruby and then Damon and after that it starts all over again.

Augustine is a never ending circle.

You can draw a circle over and over again, but you will always follow the same lines and get back to the point where you started.

I'm thinking all this while I'm drawing the same circles on Ruby's hand. As I finish another circle, I vaguely wonder if I should draw something else. Lines maybe. Lines can end, they can intersect or they can be endless; unlike circles they never start over and over again.

Two different lines can intersect ones or twice, but they are most likely to move away from each other, never to intersect or maybe even to be parallel to each other.

When you think of it like that, circles sound better actually. You may do everything over and over again, but you will never lose the people you care about. With lines, two lives intersect ones or twice, but you'll lose them after that, just to never see them again...

Suddenly, I'm disturbed in my circles and lines discussion with myself - I'm still drawing the circles by the way, they have won in my discussion - when Ruby suddenly starts to communicate. We all have been quiet for some time after Mathew had come with the blood, which Damon drank of course, and Ruby had done her best to keep quiet in her head too. I guess we are both getting better at this.

What are you thinking about?

Circles. I respond as I hold up our entwined hands. The never ending circle that is called Augustine.

Ruby pulls our hand through the bars and softly presses her lips against my knuckles, slowly kissing every one of them.

We will break that circle. She responses while looking up to me.

What if there is one circle I don't want to break?

And what would that be? She raises her eyebrow to me and I brush the hair away from her eyes to buy myself some time to think of the right words to say.

I don't want to break our circle. I don't want to lose you or Damon when all this is over. But I also know we will be a physical reminder to one another of our pain in here. I tell her and I still feel like it isn't exactly right.

But we can also help each other through that all. We don't have to lose each other after New Years Eve.

Then why do I have the feeling that it will? I don't say that to her and I try to hide it as good as I can.

Enzo, I promise you we will get out of here; the three of us. No one will be left behind.

Unless someone ends up dead. Again I hid that thought. Instead I say something else.

Maybe not all circles are made to be broken. Maybe they are. I guess we only know when it is too late.

Why are you being so depressing? Most of the time you're the one to cheer me up. Ruby responds and I feel she is surprised by my profound and yes depressing thoughts.