V: death of the night

"You shine in the dead of the night
And I was the first to fall."  

Lex

"I can't cook something Mexican with an empty fridge," I exclaimed as I opened the silver box the boys called fridge.

"We mostly order in," Ashton said. "It is easier and we almost never get something dirty."

"You need homemade food," I said inspecting their cabinets next. "You know, the one that is cook with love and not for money."

Calum chuckled. "We can order in, after all, you are the guest." I turned to him and raised an eyebrow. "We can order sushi."

I quickly declined their offer. "No," I said. "Lucas here, already spent tons of money on me, and I can't pay it without sacrificing my college food, the least I can do is cook for you, but you don't have any food."

"Which means, Lucas here is spending more money," Michael suggested as he jumped to sit on the kitchen counter. Ashton smacked him in the back of the head and I chuckled, sitting by his side.

"No, that's not the point. I'll buy it and I'll tell Ramona to give me extra shifts. No biggie, I'll give myself a budget of twenty dollars," I said smiling, trying to pretend I was fine when I was not, but I didn't want them to spend so much money on me. We had just met.

After a long discussion, it was agreed that I was going to cook, or better said, I forced them to accept that I was going to cook because they had no other choice. I changed into my only change of clean clothes and then they gave me the directions to the super market because I was going alone, since they insisted that they were really tired and needed a bath, and I wasn't in any position to argue.

My way to the market was peaceful, just me, myself and I humming All Time Low songs, or better say, humming 'Everything is fine' because it was my summer jam. It was all calm and tranquil until two teenage girls walked up to me.

They asked me if I knew a guy named Luke Hemmings, and it was surely a famous person if they were asking, but the only Luke I knew was not famous, and I realized, I didn't even knew his last name.

"I'm sorry, I don't," I said as I walked off.

"I was sure it was her," I heard one of them say before I was out of ear distance.

The incident got me thinking that whenever I was in public with Luke he was always awkward, and I acted a little nervous from when we were indoors, but it could be social anxiety for all I knew. I decided on asking him later about it, until a larger group of girls came to me to ask me the same thing, I denied it and walked faster to the market. The whole thing was creeping me out.

Third time was outside the super market, a group of about five girls asked the question, and kept insisting I looked like the girl in the picture, but I didn't know of what picture they were talking about. In fact, my Instagram profile was private, so only my friends and acquaintances had access to my pictures.

After the third question, my anxiety had triggered and I had to run inside the store and lock myself in a bathroom. I was working up in dialing Juliet's phone for her to give some telephone therapy, until her name and face appeared across my screen. I didn't pick up. For some reason, seeing her calling me made my will to speak disappear.

I recollected myself with a couple of deep breaths. I probably had a doppelganger and that was why people kept coming up to me, thinking I was her. If I knew a famous person, I was totally sure I would be able to recognize them, I was not an idiot.