XI: you won't be lonely

"I check my phone to see your face
Staring back as if to say
Don't worry, you won't be lonely ."

Lex

Luke and I had been what I like to call 'enamorados' for about a week, and that had been a GLORIOUS week, I must say. Not only I was spending time with the boy I liked and his friends, whom I loved, but my best friend was with me, so things were awesome.

Sometimes we went to the beach to take walks, but Luke and I, we were quickly to fall behind to have some alone time. Other times we went to the Santa Monica Pier; during those times the boys were recognize a lot; other days we went to the movies or arcades. Luke and I also made sure to have some quality time alone, so we would hang out at his room, my apartment when Juliet was gone or a poetry place, even though I wasn't performing.

Luke always ushered me to perform but after my failure that caused me to meet him, I wasn't going to do it anymore.

Of course most of our hang outs were after I was done with work, or they went to pick me up at the diner, so sometimes we had dinner there. It was one of those days, the Friday before Ash's birthday to be exact.

The boys sat in one of the booths as I served them. They always insisted on me taking a break and Ramona said it was totally fine, but since they were a lot around, I didn't want to leave my work behind.

"Have I told you that I love how you look in your uniform?" Luke asked me as his hand brushed against mine when I handed him his plate.

"Yes," I rolled my eyes smiling. "Like a thousand times. I mean, you say it every time you come here."

"I think I am going to get diabetes from all that sugar you are dripping," said Ashton. "Michael and Crystal were one thing, I can deal with one couple. But I CAN'T DEAL WITH TWO!" Ashton threw his hands up in the air and Calum laughed out loud. "Please Cal, stay forever single with me. Please."

Calum's face grew serious. "You can't tell me what to do," he exclaimed.

"Come on, Cal. You don't like anybody. Say it for now so he can calm down," Michael said cutting his quesadilla.

When Calum was about to open his mouth to reply Juliet entered the restaurant running. Her breathing was heavy and she had stop for a second, hands on her knees, to catch her breath. She was all flustered and her hair was a bit of a mess, as I she had been running. She had a green folder on her hand. My green folder, the one that contained all of my papers.

Panicking I ran up to her and grabbed her by the shoulders.

"I saw ICE two blocks away when I was coming so I ran back home to get your papers just in case," she said in between breaths and then handing them to me.

"You'll think they will come?" I asked.

"Don't' worry about it. You've got your papers and I am the example of the perfect citizen. Plus, remember that daddy is a lawyer with a lot power."

I shook my head. "It's not me I am worried about. Ramona's husband," I paused. "He's illegal."

Freaking out was short to describe how I was feeling. I was shitting my pants. I actually went to puke before I could tell Ramona and the boys were just watching me pace around the empty diner. They didn't know what was happening until I told Juliet to check if they were still close. They were, and we had no back door.

"What's wrong?" Luke asked when Juliet was done detailing their position.

I went ahead and told them the story. Ramona and her husband's had tried to migrate legally to the U.S. after the American dream, like any other immigrant. Only Ramona got the work visa, her husband's petition was denied. He crossed the border illegally two months after she had done it legally, and they opened the diner. Things had been fine for the last twenty years, but when Trump's administrations came, everything changed.