Chapter 1

I felt icy fingers grip my arm in the darkness, but when I turn no one was there. My honey glaze eyes search the darken streets and buildings. Goosebumps climb up my pale skin at the nonexisting touch. Wind bit with anger until my cheeks turned a rosy red and my black locks lash violently behind me. With a swift turn of my heels I continue my way in the dreary night. The heels of my shoes click off the pavement loud against the silence. I quickly move across the street in hopes of escaping the shadowy presents.

I've entered into a ghost town.

There were no signs of human life that presented it self in any shapes or from. No, I had no doubt that I've entered into a town lurking with creatures of the night. And one was following me. My stomach churn at the though as I scurry along the street. I have no intentions on being captured or to be it's next meal.

I spotted a forest on the other side of town before I'd entered. If I can just make it there. I hope that my familiarity with the vegetation will give me a chance at survival.

I was weakened and my fighting abilities felt non existent. I have no way of defending myself. I needed time to heal. I was the perfect prey for a blood thirsty vampire. With a quick look over my shoulder, I turn the corner almost to the end of the town.

"What's the rush?" A deep dark voice question, "You just got here."

I turned to find a man with skin pale as moonlight, his hair was short, a dull red like dried blood, everything about his body screamed predator.  His hard green eyes burned with hunger. I stop dead in my tracks paralyzed at the sight of him.

"Oh, shit!"

He smiled a sickly smile revealing his sharp fangs. The more I thought about running, or simply moving, the more I felt discouraged and utterly terrified. I couldn't breath, it felt as if someone was choking me. Heart racing and all I wanted to do was curl up into a ball and hope someone will save me. But no one would, no one was there to help me.

"It's dinner time."

"Please," I plead with a shake of my head.

The fucker actually laugh coldly at my plea, and before I knew it my feet were off the ground. That cold hand of his squeeze my throat shut, cutting off my source of air. A choked cry for help forced itself up my throat, and I felt a drop run down my cheek. It seemed like this was the end of the road for me. The vampire sniff at my neck with a sastify groan. His slimy tongue flick out to lick at the spot where my collar bone and neck meet. Shivers race down my spine as I prepare for my death.

"This won't hurt a bit," he smiled, before sinking his teeth into my neck.

I scream out at the pain before basking in ecstasy. A moan slip from my lips as my head tilt to the side, allowing him more access. This glorious feeling was new to me. Eyes rolling to the back of my head. But as soon as it started it was quickly over.

A growl so deep shook the ground beneath us ricocheting off the buildings. The vampire pull away from me throwing my limp body to the ground. The force cause my head to bounce off the gravel harshly. My vision blurred with black dancing dots. Voices sound all around me but I couldn't make out a single word. I was falling into the hands of darkness and I didn't have any strength to fight back.

---

Agony singes through my midriff, little lulls giving bogus to any desire for an end. Each peak loots my capacity to talk; my mind surrendering to the torment, incapable to carry an idea to finish. Without thinking my body twists into something fetal, something antiquated and at the same time the agony consumes and radiates. It's as if my blood has turned to be corrosive, a goal of pulverizing me from the inside out. All I can do is squirm, a incidental cry escape from my lips echoing off the walls.

"Good, you're awake..." A feminine voice chimes somewhere above me.

What the hell does she mean by 'Good'; I'm fucking dying.

"Now, I'm going to inject you with a serum that'll numb your body to the pain."

I could only wimper in response as the burning pain lick up my back like scorching fire. It was an unpleasant warmth that continues to eat at my stomach. Vomit surface at the bottom of my throat teasing the thought of resurfacing. A bullet would be a mercy right now, but the serum is the best I can hope for.

"Please...take away the pain," I beg barley above a whisper. I soon felt a flow of cold liquid enter my system at my request.

"Just give it a minute," the woman soothes while rubbing my arm gently.

My breathing slowly starts to even out as the pain subsides. A hand gently press against my shoulders until I laid completely on my back. My head rolls back against the bed as I'm finally able to open my eyes. I scan the room briefly before setting my hazing vision on the female next to me. She had golden blonde hair cut into a bob with amazing muddy brown golden eyes.

"Feeling better?" She pipes with a cheeky smile.

I nod looking around at the small room once again, "Yeah, uh...where am I?"

The women, who looks near her late thirties, stood to pour me a cup of water. I took the cup graciously chugging down the water in one gulp.

"Well, my name is Cressida. You're at a safe house," she stated near the foot of my bed, "It's on unclaimed land near the White Claw Pack."

"Okay, I'm sorry; but my memories are a little bit wonky. So..." I rush out desperately. I've had always been in this constant battle with my brain. It's like every time I wake up, I'm experiencing amnesia; and it's starting to piss me off.

"You don't remember?"

I shook my head feeling a sort of deja vu. She walk over and place a gentle hand along my forehead. Her delicate eyes scan over my face with eyebrows furrowed in concentration. I could only watch in anticipation as I sat frozen under her gaze and palm.

"Yeah, you've been casted to forget," the woman confirmed vaguely, "but we need to locate your mate first?"

"Wait! Slow down. Cast? Mate?" I ramble out trying to understand what the lady was spilling.

"I'll explain the first one later, but we need to find your mate, like yesterday, or you can potentially die again."

Die again! When did I fucking die the first time. And what the hell is a mate?

"I die?" I breathe with a shaky voice.

Cressida look to me with sympathy, "Oh, honey. I have a lot to catch you up on."