Chapter Three: I DON'T NEED YOU

Hank's eyes slowly opened. The winter sunlight streamed through the window. He sniffled. He sat up, rubbing his forehead. He stared at the wall, allowing himself to wake up..

And then he remembered..

His stomach tightened in anticipation, making him feel nauseous. He groaned and massaged his temples. He mumbled incoherently, shaking his head.

He pulled on his clothes and trudged into the kitchen, ignoring the fully dressed android standing still next to the fridge.

"Good morning, Lieutenant!" Connor greeted cheerfully, smiling from ear-to-ear.

Hank didn't reply and slumped into a chair. He held his head up with his hands, eyelids drooping.

The android nodded and proceeded to make Hank a cup of coffee. Connor leaned over Hank's shoulder, slightly pressed against his back, setting the mug down in front of the man gently. Hank tingled slightly. Connor received a grunt from Hank as a 'thank you' as he took a sip from the mug, not commenting on how good it is.

Connor stood behind Hank staring straight ahead, ready to take orders. Hank turned and squinted at him in discomfort.

"Sit down, Connor.." Hank said, gesturing towards the chair across from him.

Connor pulled out the chair and sat down.

"So, Lieutenant.." Connor began, thinking of a conversation starter for the morning, "is there anything you'd like to know about me?" Connor scooched around to be more comfortable in the chair, clasping his hands together, smiling and waiting to answer any questions.

"No." Hank muttered.

Connor felt something drop in him. "Oh.." he said. He felt his mood plummet.. He paused, 'mood?' he thought. He could feel his insides tighten at the thought, sending a rushing sensation through his spinal component. He felt worried.

 Connor's finger went straight up to his LED and began circling it softly with his finger tip. It calmed him.. or cooled down his system..? He wasn't sure.

===----------===----------===----------===----------===----------===

Hank's car swerved into the parking space and jolted forward with the sudden brake. He opened the door and slammed it shut. Hank shoved his hands into his pockets and walked quickly into the police department, bundling his hair up behind his head with a hair tie. Connor followed closely behind him. Hank flashed his badge to the android behind the desk but Connor was stopped.

"Authorisation, please?" she asked.

"It's with me." Hank told her, a harsh tone in his voice. The android nodded to Connor who jogged to catch up with the Lieutenant.

Hank dragged Connor over to his desk.

"Sit over there at that desk," Hank pointing to the empty desk opposite his own, "The same rules here. You don't touch anything on my desk. You don't mess up anything either, got it?" Hank ordered, leaning in slightly to add more intimidation.

Connor paused, staring indifferently into Hank's eyes. "Got it, Lieutenant." he said blankly and Hank left abruptly, storming into the Captain's office with strong intention in his stride.

Connor took the opportunity to look around. He gazed at the desks, the police officers, the gleaming badges. He suddenly smiled, picturing himself flashing his badge to demand entrance to a crime scene and then be effortlessly granted it. Like a human.

He shook his head to rid of the thoughts and ran a diagnostic. 

All system running smoothly.

He found himself wandering into the break room. It was empty excluding three officers. One of the officers slinked up to him in an obnoxious, bouncy walk.

"Hey." he said, pushing Connor by the back of his head. Connor turned around, a glare in his eye.  Connor ignored him.

"Hey shithead, welcome to the station." He shoved Connor, who stumbled slightly, his right shoulder pushed backwards from the force.

Connor's eyes darted around the officer's face, identifying him.

"Hello, Detective Reed. My name is Connor, I'm the android sent by CyberLife." Connor greeted raising an eyebrow.

Detective Reed scoffed. "It has an intro." He turned his head to laugh in mock with the other officers.

Connor felt he was beginning to fall into danger. He ran through his options of a safe exit from the situation. His LED flashed yellow.

"I must be going now, Detective Reed. It was pleasant meeting you." Connor lied. He turned to leave but Gavin shoved Connor more forcefully, making Connor fall over from the sudden jolt, he landed feeling a shock to his system. He began circling his LED with his finger.

"Awe, he doesn't make a clank when he falls on his ass." Gavin teased.

"Dissappointing!" cooed another officer mockingly.

Gavin yanked Connor back up aggressively by the arm, he leaned in too close. Connor could smell his sour breath evaporating on his neck.

 "What the fuck is wrong with you, asshole?" Connor tried to leave but Gavin gripped his arm with a surprising amount of force. "If you wanna stay here in one piece then you and me are gonna keep this our little secret because next time.. you won't get off so fucking easy. A good robot follows its orders after all.. Do you hear me?"

Connor stared coldly at him.

Gavin's nose wrinkled with a snarl. "Got it, shithead?!" Spit landed on Connor's face. He stopped himself from wiping it away. "THAT'S AN ORDER." Gavin yelled.

His whole body felt tense and tight. His therium regulator beat twice as fast.

"Yes, Detective Reed." Connor replied, frightened. His bottom lip quivered.

Gavin pushed Connor against the wall harshly, finally earning himself the satisfying clanking sound. Connor quickly walked away from the break room, not stopping until he reached his new desk opposite Hank's. Hank was still in the Captain's office evident from his empty chair. 

Connor circled his LED with his finger until he calmed down, suddenly craving the safety he would instantly be granted when Hank returned. He wouldn't breath a word of Gavin to him. He wasn't sure what he was capable of.. Connor could be putting people at risk.

He contemplated the relationship between himself and the Lieutenant. They seemed to have gotten off to a rocky start but Connor was sure that they would soon be partners that work well together. Perhaps even friends? Maybe even when Hank comes back. Connor stomach tightened and a warmth expanded outwards throughout his whole body. He could feel the therium rush to his face.

His 'mood' lifted and he turned to look into Captain Fowler's office and his mood sunk again like a rock. Hank was screaming at Captain Fowler, undoubtedly about him. Connor felt cold again.

He didn't feel safe.

A few moments later, Hank returned. Aggressively pulling out his chair and sitting down glaring with rage at the screen in front of him.

Connor waited a moment before speaking quietly, "Lieutenant, I understand if-"

"You know what, Connor? I don't need you to understand anything about me. I don't need you to be in my life. Alright Connor? I don't need you.." Hank lashed out in hatred.

"I see. I apologise.. Lieutenant." Connor said weakly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N:

Things start to get a little dicey for Connor! He has no choice but to take shit from Gavin.. 

(I can't write "My name is Connor, I'm the android sent by CyberLife" without saying it in Jacksepticeye's Connor voice anymore..!)

If you enjoyed this chapter, please leave a comment and maybe add it to your reading list! :D