Chapter Four: THE LIMIT

------ Fluffy Moment; Hank gets a little touchy-feely ------

"Connor." Hank appeared in the bedroom doorway.

        Connor sat cross-legged on the floor in a shirt and boxers, stroking Sumo's shaggy fur. The large dog enjoyed the attention from his new friend, although he didn't like to be disturbed while he was snoozing. Sumo rose and trotted away, slumping down into a ball in the corner.

"Yes, Lieutenant?" the android replied quietly, tearing his gaze away from the snoring Saint Bernard.

Hank observed him for a moment. "C'mon in. I'm going to bed."

Connor smiled as he followed Hank into his bedroom.

"You can sleep there." He gestured to an empty duvet cover folded up on the floor at the end of Hank's bed, a fairly drab-looking pillow rested on the top. Connor sat down, thanking Hank.

Hank dismissed it with a wave, climbing into bed. He picked up a detective novel and began reading.

Connor unfolded the cover and laid it down on the floor. He lay down and settled his head on the pillow. The pillow was too firm. He frowned, feeling the hard ground pressing into the back of his head. He felt silly laying on the ground.

Connor sat up. He knew that deviant behaviour included wanting things, but he found himself wanting to sleep in the bed next to Hank. To feel protected and secure. Was this meant to belong in his programming? Was it one of his special features; the need for self-preservation? The ability to feel vulnerable? He was the company's most advanced prototype after all..

Maybe they had gotten creative.. or maybe he's..

alive.

Connor lay back down. His thoughts slowly calming, he closed his eyes, willing himself to be thankful. At least he didn't have to sleep on the couch... which didn't sound too bad.

He pushed himself up and sat on the edge of Hank's bed. Hank glanced at him, returning his gaze to the novel.

A question played on Connor's mind. He opened his mouth to ask but suddenly was overcome with a nervous sensation. He stared at the ground, waiting for it to pass.

"Hank..?" The man looked up.

"I understand that you don't like androids.. but why can't I sleep here?" Connor gingerly patted the empty side of the bed.

Hank put down the book. "Have you got a problem with that, Connor..?" Hank asked, his voice a little more friendly. Connor felt a cold rush. "You shouldn't want things..." Hank arced an eyebrow.

"Sorry, Lieutenant. It won't happen again." Connor reassured but Hank wasn't biting.

"What are you really thinking?"

Connor's eyes darted away from Hank's. "I was just thinking that I should've expected an answer like that."

"Well then maybe you should go and sleep on the couch if you're going to be that way." Hank shook his head at Connor.

Connor's face darkened as he focused on his hands.

Hank climbed over the bed to stare right into Connor's eyes.

"What are you, Connor..?" he glared.

"I am an RK800 model prototype specially designed by CyberLife to assist human officers and hunt deviants." Connor delivered his rehearsed line.

"On the outside, you may seem that way.." Hank stated quietly, grabbing Connor's shirt collar and pulling him close until their noses were millimetres apart. Hank narrowed his eyes. Connor blushed a bright blue.