Chapter Five: STAR CROSSED

Connor lay in bed with Hank. The two were about a metre apart. He didn't mind, of course. The night was quiet with only the faintest snore from Hank. Connor felt a sense of calm wash over him..

Then he received a new case, his face began to twitch. Connor sat up and wirelessly switched on the lights which caused a startled grunt from Hank.

"There's a crime that needs investigating, Lieutenant!" Connor chirped, he slid out of bed and dressed himself quickly.

"Connor, for fucks sake!!" Hank scrambled out of bed, rifling through his wardrobe for clothes to keep up with the swift android, "You could've given me a warning!"

Connor shrugged as he straightened his tie in the mirror, grinning at his appearance. He turned his head this way and that way, winking at himself. He turned to leave but quickly teetered back as he remembered his coin. He glided over the bed and snatched it from the side-table, dashing out of the room, followed by Hank.

"Connor, slow down!" Hank's voice was an agitated whisper as the eager android bounded outside into the night and attempted to open the locked car door. Hank swung around to the other side and unlocked the doors. The partners clambered into the car, there was a mixture of excitement and reluctance in the air, emitting equally from the two. They drove on in broken conversation, mostly started by Connor who coaxed out little anecdotes from Hank which boosted the Lieutenant's mood. He wasn't sure if Connor was actually interested in his most action-packed cases or if it was part of his social programming nonsense, he didn't mind all-in-all. It felt good to talk about himself to somebody else besides Sumo once in a while.

The pair arrived at the scene. Crowds of neighbours and news reporters flocked outside of the house.

Officer Collins turned as they approached. "Ah, Hank! Good. Apologies for the wake-up call." He patted Hank on the back, eyeing Connor.

"You brought the android." he observed.

Hank nodded, rolling his eyes up to the sky. "Yeah, he follows me everywhere. So, what do we know?"

Ben began telling Hank and Connor that a MP500 had murdered its owner that night and that the neighbours interviewed had reported screaming. They haven't been able to locate the android but found a bloody screwdriver outside the window.

Connor's face grew serious, he felt exhilarated. This was his time. Connor scanned the crime scene, his gaze passed over tables and counters and the body itself.

He walked over, tilting his head as he identified the victim;

Winters, Ana

Born: 4/September/2000

Deceased: 20/November/2038

He leaned in to inspect the victim draped on the floor.

10 stab wounds on the left side of the chest, some minor scrapes on the lower abdomen, signs of strangulation, signs of Red Ice use, damage to right eye-

"Connor" Hank called from upstairs. Connor dashed up and joined him in the bathroom. He noticed the bedroom door was off its upper hinges. Signs of forced entry?

"We found this in the trash." Hank held up a smashed LED. Connor walked towards Hank in curiosity. Hank handed Connor the LED and he scanned it for him, it was the MP500's.

Connor opened the shower curtain where fresh blue blood was splashed against the wall of the shower. Connor took a sample with his finger and held it up to his tongue to analyse.

"Connor! What the fuck are you doing?!" Hank yelled, startled.

"Just analysing the blood, Lieutenant." Connor replied as the results were made. He furrowed his brow in confusion.

"Hank.." Connor said. "This is a WE900 android's blood."

"What?" Hank turned to Ben. "Did she have a second android?"

Connor interrupted, "It was reported missing a month ago."

Hank's mouth twitched with a hint of a smile, "You don't think they were in love, do you?"

Connor's insides fluttered. "It's possible." he said neutrally.

Hank nodded, agreeing. "Hey, can you take a look at the weapon? It's just outside." Connor nodded and descended the stairs, noticing a large dent in the wall with blue blood residue. He held up a sample to his tongue to analyse. It was the WE900's..

He exited out of the backdoor to inspect the suspected weapon. It was thrown into a bed of roses that ran along the back wall. The red blood that coated the tip and the handle was definitely Ana's. Connor walked back inside the house. He stood back and focused as he reconstructed;

Both androids hid upstairs, the WE900 in the shower and the MP500 in the bedroom. A drug-induced Ana went upstairs and found the WE900 in the shower, the android was then injured. The WE900 struggled with Ana down the stairs and the MP500 rushed after them to intervene, damaging the door in the process. It pushed Ana back by pushing in her eyes with its thumbs. It grabbed the screwdriver from-

He analysed,

The toolbox under the sink. The MP500 then stabbed Ana and strangled her to make sure she was dead, disposing of the weapon out the window nearest the kitchen.

Connor opened his eyes.

That still didn't tell him where the androids were.

Hank came downstairs. "Find anything?"

Connor nodded. "I'm almost sure." He told Hank what might have happened.

"So the androids escaped then.." Hank observed. Connor nodded.

Ben smiled. "Well that just means that we'll have to ask neighbours if they've seen the androids. Thanks, you two! We can track them down from here." He patted Hank on the shoulder and joined the other officers. Hank gestured for Connor to follow him outside to the car.

The partners clambered in. Connor fiddled with his coin, frustrated. "There must be another way to find those androids!"

"Leave it, Connor." Hank smiled.

"But we could've found them!"

"Does it matter, Connor? Wherever they are, I'm sure they're happy.. or whatever."

Connor chose to stay silent, his gaze instead was attracted towards the window and the blurred world outside.

They drove on in mixed thoughts.. until..

Hank yelled, wheels screeching, sudden braking.

Connor jumped. Two androids stood frozen in front of them, clinging to each other. The MP500 and the WE900.

The WE900 grabbed its lover and fled into the bushes.

Connor and Hank sat in shock. After it clicked, Hank laughed. "What do ya know!"

Connor struggled with his seatbelt. "We have to go after them!!" Hank stretched his arm across Connor's chest to pin him back, Connor turned his head to meet Hank's fading blue eyes. "Let them go. Just this once." Hank insisted softly. "If they cause any more trouble then we'll chase them down.. but only until then." Connor relaxed.

He nodded and the two drove home back to Sumo.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N:

I'm not dead! :D

I've been in that kind of writer's block where you know what you want to write but don't know how to write it.. Apologies that this chapter took quite a while for those of you enjoying the story so far!

This story has over 300 reads! That's crazy and I really appreciate evey single read, even if you don't get all the way to my little author's note at the end :3

If you've any tips on how I can improve or have a suggestion, let me know! Thanks, everyone!

~Jaime (not actually my name but it's a nickname)

Edit: I changed Ana's death to November because Hank and Connor didn't know each other in August he he he, my bad