What is Magick?

Please note: I will be using "magic" and "magick" interchangeably; they mean the same thing. (Sometimes people use "magic" to refer to the sort of stuff you see in Harry Potter etc, and "magick" in reference to real/natural magick that genuine witches use.)

What is not magick?

Let's start by listing examples of what magick certainly is not. It is not what you see in movies or TV series, like transforming one object into another or levitating. It is not fire bending or shapeshifting. This is fiction and just physically impossible.

💡 A good rule of thumb is: if it breaks the laws of physics, it's probably not real.

People who claim that werewolf/mermaid/levitating/kinesis spells are real are known as "fluffy bunnies" (sometimes "fluffy" or just "fluff") to the witchcraft community. They are highly disrespected by witches, usually because they are highly disrespectful towards witches.

Side note: real werewolf/mermaid/etc spells do exist, but they only change the appearance of your astral body's form. They are for more experienced practitioners.

What magic is:

Magic is both a science and an art. It is a science in the sense that performing a spell requires research, understanding of what you're doing, and an awareness of the methods used in witchcraft. It is an art in the sense that you need to follow your intuition and be creative. When practising magic, you blend the two in order to bend the natural forces to your will, and send messages to your subconscious, to bring about your desired outcome.

For some broad definitions, I like to refer to Donald Kraig's Modern Magick:

"According to the famous occultist Aleister Crowley, magick is "the Science and Art of causing Change to occur in conformity with Will."

After considering this definition to be too vague, he then gave us his own:

"Magick is the science and art of causing change (in consciousness) to occur in conformity with will, using means not currently understood by traditional Western science."

Another good definition is provided by Scott Cunningham in his Guide for the Solitary Practitioner:

"Magic is the projection of natural energies to produce needed effects."

In layman's terms: Magick is simply using your will and intention to get what you desire.

In not-so layman's terms: Magick is the manipulation of the subconscious and natural forces to change your reality in accordance to your will.

Magic can range from a thought, a simple prayer, to a complex ritual spanning over several days. Witches use tools and spells to amplify our will and intention. Tools and spells give us a tangible concept that we can understand, to make it easier for our brains to internalise the desire, thus make our desire more likely to manifest. An important thing to note is that magick is probably 75% intention, and 25% everything else. Some witches say 60% versus 40%, others say 80% versus 20%, but the fundamental idea remains the same: your intention always counts for more than the tools you use.

The Schools of Thought

One of the most important things I wish I learnt as a newbie witch is that there are two main schools of thought on magick. On either end of the spectrum, there are two main camps: the energetic view on magick, and the psychological view on magick.

The Energy Perspective
The energy view is very much your stereotypical idea of magick. If you believe the energetic view of magick, then you believe that deities, spirits, and other planes of existence literally exist. It is a very external philosophy; magick is a natural force present throughout the universe that witches can manipulate to their own will and desires. Magick is something that exists outside of your own mind and body.