6

The hotel was one of the biggest buildings Lila had ever seen. The outside walls were painted a sunny yellow with brown detailing in the balconies. Sitting on a red bench outside, she waited for John to give the rental car back and lead her inside.

She watched little kids play in the street and get reprimanded by their parents for doing so. The sidewalks were filled with traffic from Beatles fans who were trying to catch a glimpse of their idols.

Lila didn't tell anyone in Spain about her relation to the John Lennon. She wanted to finish her studies distraction free and she felt like she wouldn't be able to focus if people knew. In hindsight, it seemed like it wouldn't have mattered anyway. Beatlemania had not exactly taken over Spain the way she thought it would, the way she was afraid of. She went to one of their shows to visit John, but the security was so tough, she didn't even get to see him. Or any other Beatle, for that matter. She didn't know much about the band other than her brother.

She felt the bench sink a little when someone sat down next to her. Cigarette smoke hung in the air, and she couldn't help but cough and roll her eyes.

"Out of all the benches you could have smoked at, you had to pick this one?" Lila turned towards him and saw his face, which was adorned with thin lips and big, droopy eyes.

"Well the other benches don't come with a pretty bird, do they?" The man chuckled, holding out his hand. "Paul McCartney."

Hesitantly, Lila shook his hand and told her her full name.

"Did you just say Lennon?" Paul chuckled and ran his hand through his shaggy hair. He seemed quite amused.

"Yeah," she leaned back and tilted her head, "you've heard of my brother?"

"You can say that," he smriked, flicking ashes onto the ground. "I met him in Hamburg."

"Really? I don't think he's ever mentioned you."

Paul laughed almost hysterically. "Of course he wouldn't bloody mention me, the git. He always wants to take all the credit for everything. Never wants to share the damn glory!"

"I don't think that's why, but its not impossible." Lila giggled and rolled her eyes playfully. "He's very proud, sure, but he's not out for blood."

Paul looked into her eyes and smiled, she must've thought the world of her brother. "Why do you think he never told you about me?"

"I dunno, maybe because he never wants to talk about music or famous stuff with me. He wants to be good old Johnny, big brother, nothing more."

"I have to say, that's actually touching." Paul laughed, "I can't imagine John being so thoughtful."

"Do you know Johnny well?" Lila smiled and pulled her knees up to her chest.

"Vaguely, speaking of, where is our old chap?"

"Oh, he went to return the rental car, and he probably took a smoke break," Lila smirked and looked up at Paul through her eyelashes, "He knows I absolutely hate smoking."

"Hm, what a good man," Paul mused whilst taking another drag off of his cigarette. He too was smirking as Lila rolled her eyes. "I can't imagine such a beautiful creature being a Lennon, you know."

"You're really laying it on thick, here."

Paul laughed, putting out his cigarette in an ash tray. "Maybe I'm just amazed."

"Maybe," Lila watched Paul walk back into the hotel without saying a goodbye, which she thought was sort of a dick move. What kind of guy hits on a girl, then leaves her sitting alone?