9

We walked through the station to find our dad sitting at Waylon's desk

   We walked through the station to find our dad sitting at Waylon's desk. We walked up to him, I pulled a chair up next to him while Bella stood. "Hey," Bella said, bending to look at his computer. Dad replied with a dull hey. I placed a hand on his arm, he put a hand over mine. "Dad I'm really sorry," she said

   "Going on 30 years," he said he looked around trying to find something to say to make it better "don't worry, we are going to find this thing," He tried to assure us though he even seemed unsure with the statement. He pulled open a drawer that house 2 canisters of pepper spray "Meantime, I want you to carry this with you," I took the canister turning it around in my hands looking at the large letters, Bella was more reluctant to take it. Dad said something about it making him feel better. She sighed taking it. We got up to leave.

   When we were walking through the parking lot they rolled Waylon's body into the emergency vehicle. His feet were sticking out, a sickly pale almost like the Cullens. I look up at Bella wide eyes as she seemed to have the same thoughts. They were pale like a corpse and as cold as ice. Dad came out ready to take us home, my heart beat rapidly in my chest. I grabbed Bella's hand and walked toward the car. We got home soon after, my thoughts ran wild as we tried to find an explanation. I sat on Bella's bed as she pulled out the book on Quileute legends. "Come look at this," Bella's quiet voice brought me out of my wild thoughts. I stood from the quilted bed to stand behind her.

   The Cold One: Apotamkin, she clicked on the link, a large image of a monster like-creature eating what looked to be humans. Bella read exerts from the passage before scrolling to click on legends from different places. Egypt, the Egyptians, legends depicting men and women who drank blood to live forever. India, a creature that they considered a daemon that feasted on humans. Peru, a legend that depicted how to kill cold ones by dismembering their bodies. Other legends with humans standing over them killing or these cold ones feasting on humans. Words stuck out to us like, undead, the deathly pale skin color that only a corpse could have. Speed, the day the van almost crushed Bella and how Edward got across the lot. Strength, how Edward pushed the van away. Cold skinned, Jasper's cold fingers when they numbed my own. Immortal was the last one that really stuck out to us. I gasped my hand covering my mouth in shock.

   "They can't be," I denied knowing that it was, she continued clicking different links trying to get more information. "I have to, uh, I have to go to bed," I said backing from her, rushing to my room to shut the world out. The guy I like, he's a vampire. 

   The next day at school, Bella and I devised a plan to confront them. Well, Bella devised a plan to confront Edward about this new-found information. I didn't know what to do, should I or should I keep my distance. I mean they could kill us. Bella and Edward walked off to the forest.  I for some reason trusted him not to hurt her, against all logic. My eyes scanned over each one of the Cullens, Alice gave me a small smile, Noah's face as always was stern, but his eyes told a different story almost like they pitied me. Rosalie glared which I quickly returned before looking at Emmett, who had a smirk. Finally, I looked over at Jasper, his face was sad, regretful. I frowned turning around walking into the building. 

   My thoughts ran wild all day, any chance to see Jasper was just filled with depressing stares and gazes. At lunch, I could feel the Cullens staring at the back of my head. I didn't everything in my power not to turn and look. Bella's friends noticed their stares. "So why are the Cullens staring at you?" Jessica asked 

   "I don't know," I said shortly, pushing the plastic fork around the salad. Jessica continued to push. I gave up trying to eat and ignore the girl. I grabbed my stuff, throwing the trash away and looking at the Cullens to see them watching me as I walked out. I lost the battle with myself as my eyes landed on the blonde Hale. Curiosity overtook logic as I nodded my head for him to follow. His sister seemed to not like the idea, trying to tell him to stay, but he stood following me out of the cafeteria. "Is the only reason you talked to me because you wanted to eat me?" I asked walking quickly, Jasper keeping pace next to me.

   "No," was all he said, I trusted that answer. I nodded my head exhaling the breath I was holding.

   "How old are you?" I asked 

   "168," 

   "When you turned?" I asked our voices in a hushed tone, people walking around us stared at Jasper, probably in surprise that he spoke to someone other than his family.

   "19,"

   "What do you eat?" was the only question I had left, I knew the answer, blood. But is he responsible for Waylon's death?

   "My family and I call ourselves vegetarians, we feed on animals," I snorted  

   "You obviously don't know the meaning of vegetarians," I said, relieved, "Was it one of your kind that killed-" He cut me off with a nod "Do you know who?" he shook his head. 

   "You aren't scared?" he asked 

   "Trust me, I am terrified but not that you'll kill me or harm me," I said he didn't like that answer. He grabbed my wrist, dragging me toward the parking lot. His car sat near the edge, he mumbled a get in to which I did. We left the campus and drove into the forest. He stopped at the bank, it was quiet, serene. He opened the door walking toward the shining sunlight that broke through the trees. I got out of the car, Jasper's skin started glittering like tiny diamonds. I smiled at the beauty of the sparkles

   "How are you not scared of me?" he asked 

   "Well for starters, its kinda hard to be scared of someone that sparkles," I teased "and you won't hurt me," I said walking toward him placing my hand onto his cheek. He leaned into the touch. I stood on my tiptoes kissing him softly. When I pulled away I laughed, "I have been wanting to do that since the music room," I said, causing him to laugh at me "Wait, did you drive me all the way out here to show me that you sparkle?" 

    "Yeah," 

   "You are so lucky you are cute," I said patting his cheek, smiling him.