An Afternoon Breakfast

The smell of eggs and bacon is what finally woke Izaya from his unconscious state, followed by a happy hum. Red eyes cracked open blearily, and the small figure on the couch raised his head ever so slightly in confusion. Once again, he found himself waking up somewhere other than his bed and still dressed in the same pajamas he'd been in for days. But this time, the informant was not greeted by the overwhelming silence his apartment usually provided him. Instead, his eyes squinted as he saw a young man standing dutifully in front of his stove as he sang along to some pop song. Small hips swayed back and forth as the blond male plated the food he'd been making, and the scene before him was so homey Izaya almost bolted.

He didn't do homey.

Before he could make his escape attempt, the person turned around with two plates in hand. Almost immediately, honey brown eyes widened with excitement and a bright smile stretched across his face. He walked over to the still half asleep raven, setting the plates down on the coffee table beside Izaya's couch.

"You're up just in time for Kida Masaomi's extraordinary breakfast!" He declared, grinning cheekily. Flinging his hand towards the food, he bowed dramatically.

"Consisting of some excellently made sunny side up eggs, a few pieces of almost-burnt toast, and crunchy bacon! Yes, you heard right, crunchy bacon! What can I say? Russia Sushi would be lucky to have me!" Kida declared, plopping down beside Izaya as he finished his selling pitch.

Izaya snorted at the display, choosing to pull himself back into a sitting position instead of replying. He stared down at the breakfast before him, frowning at the little smiley faces of jelly Kida had taken the time to slap on the toast.

"I think you would be an excellent cook, Kida. In America." He responded dryly, sitting back against his couch.

Kida whined, his bottom lip pulling into a pout. "America has good chefs, you know!" He grabbed his own plate of food, taking a few bites out of his toast to test it out. Seeing Izaya's wary expression, he gave him a thumbs up.

"Absolutely delicious! Come on, eat your breakfast. My mom always told me to never leave a speck of food on my plate. It's disrespectful to the chef!" He chided, nudging some of his half eaten toast against Izaya's lips.

The informant rolled his eyes in response, pushing the food back towards Kida.

"Didn't I tell you earlier? I'm not hungry. And if I'm going to eat something, it most certainly isn't going to be food as greasy as bacon." He grimaced at the meat in particular, remembering exactly why he survived mostly on ootoro and coffee. Everything else was too much of a hassle to eat.

Instead of accepting his defeat, Kida shook his head and waved his finger in Izaya's direction. "And do you recall what I told you? There's no way I'm gonna allow you to wither away into nothingness because you're too picky. Come on, at least eat the eggs and toast. You've been sleeping all day, so surely you must be starving!"

The pleading look in Kida's eyes and the determined set in his jaw had Izaya pause, the look all too familiar to him. No...no that wasn't quite right. Shizuo couldn't exactly be considered a determined being. And he certainly wasn't one to beg someone to do something. If it were Shizuo, he'd probably just force the damn food into someone's mouth and make them eat it. And if he wasn't fond of that person, as Izaya knew very well, he wouldn't give a damn what they did or didn't do.

But Kida...this kid who'd been put through Hell because of him and his plots...had come to his home after being so worried over his well-being and prepared him breakfast. And he still didn't give up despite Izaya's obvious disinterest in what he had made.