Don't Forget Me

Alfred trudged along the sidewalk, his hands in his pockets. He sniffled, his eyes red and puffy as he scowled at the stone beneath his feet. He hadn't want to blow up in the meeting, but he couldn't help it. The insults, the demands, everything they told him, it had finally caught up to him.

Everything had boiled over and he had blown up on the nations, and now he was walking aimlessly. He couldn't show his face in the World Council room right now, he needed to get away— the forest should be a good place.

Luckily, they were in Maine for the meeting, and he knew his own land like the back of his hand. He continued to walk through town, buildings getting smaller and more trees appearing around him.

When he finally reached the forest edge, he smiled, allowing his shoulders to slump. he pulled his hands out of his pockets, resting one on a tree trunk. He took a deep breath and stepped into the brush, unaware of the group following him.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

England, France, Canada, Germany, Italy, and Japan had been utterly confused when America had blown up in the meeting room, tears in his cornflower blue eyes that just looked so wrong there. How had it come to this? How had they been so blind to the fact that their words hurt him?

England was kicking himself for it and was the first one to call for the meeting to be put on hold. He and the rest fo the G-8, (minus China and Russia) had agreed to go look for him, and if he would have it, apologize to the young nation.

They had gone after him when he left the building, but Germany proposed that rather than making a scene on the sidewalk, that they should just follow him to wherever he was going and apologize to him there.

So after a few minuted of searching, they found and began to follow America. He walked quietly down the sidewalk and seemed to be heading towards the forest, which confused from of the countries since he seemed to be so tied to technology.

They followed him nonetheless, watching as he rested his hand on a tree trunk and continued on into the forest.

Suddenly they heard him speak— or at least, they thought that at first, but then silently realized he was singing.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Alfred walked along quietly through the brush, lost in his own thoughts. A tune came to his mind as he went along, so he went with it.

"They thought they could dispose of me

They tried to make me small

I suffered each indignity

But now rise above it all..."

He sang to himself as he ran his fingers down the trunk of a tree.

"Yes, the price I paid was all I had

But at last, I found release

And if something good can come from bad

The past can rest in peace..."