Prologue Part3

Kali looked out of the window of her room. There has been incessant rain for days now to the point she started to hate rain. Many southern Indian cities had reported damages from flooding. Luckily the werewolf kingdom, being much up north in India, never got the worst of monsoons.

She thought about her success in poisoning the werewolf king earlier in the day. He was dead. It was way too easy since she was the one who cooked his meals for him and served them to him three times a day in his study. She was expecting a guard to come any minute to tell her what she already knew.

After half an hour, or so, a guard knocked on her door and informed her that they had found the king dead in his study. She gasped and acted like she didn't already know.

She pretended to be in mourning as they buried him in the royal cemetery, while she was actually calculating her next move.

That evening, when she arrived at the huge dining room, she stood in front of the men that have been under her husband's rule. They were all arguing, shouting or brawling. They didn't even glance her way as she made her way to the royal table and sat on the chair the King had sat on. But no silence followed. They didn't respect her one bit, no one ever did. She understood that she had always played an invisible role from their point of view.

She exhaled a breath of exhaustion and stretched her stiff neck left and right. She'd teach them to respect her.

She banged on the table with her mug once, twice then thrice. The mug broke and pieces went out in every direction. All heads were turned towards her now.

"I see I have all of your attention now" she said with a straight face and a tone devoid of emotions. The room broke into chaos once more like she had never interrupted.

The Beta got up on one table. Then with a crazy power hungry look in his eyes, he announced to the crowd "I'm nominating myself the new king!"

He may have been a strong warrior but there was no way Kali would let him or anyone take what was her sons'.

She made her way towards the Beta "I, Luna Queen Kali of the werewolf kingdom accept your challenge for the throne."

Many wolves gasped in shock, some out right laughed hysterically at her words and others were making taunting remarks at her. She-wolves were seen as weak. They were usually submissive and worked for the males. So she expected to be ridiculed.

"Luna, you must've lost your wheels after the king's death" the Beta snickered and everyone joined him.

"If you're that confident I've gone mad then shift right now and fight me" she told him with all the power and authority she could muster as a Luna.

"You're too pretty to die already. You can be my mistress when I'm king instead" said the Beta giving rise to more laughter.

Kali felt white hot rage burning inside her, but she smiled on the outside. She chose her next words very carefully "Very well, I shall be your mistress and you my king...only if you can make me submit to you in a fight between our wolves."

Cheers erupted from the other wolves and the Beta happily accepted her challenge.

They went outside and fought in their werewolf forms.

The shock on everyone's faces when she ripped out the Beta's throat two minutes into the fight was priceless and she felt so powerful, so magnificent, so alive...it was addictive.

She shifted back into her human form without caring for her nudity "Who wants to challenge me next?" she shouted, her eyes turning amber.

No one volunteered, but she was drunk on power and wanted to kill a few more wolves. Even she was surprised at her bloodlust and how easy killing came to her.

So she pointed to one of the wolves who were making fun of her before, calling her weak and pathetic, and making everyone else laugh "You!" she called him out using her authoritative voice and all the wolves present lowered their heads in submission "shift in front of me right now and fight."

He had no choice but to obey: she was their Alpha now that she had killed their potential Alpha King.

She shifted and killed him too, just for the sake of killing.

More than 20 palace werewolves lost their lives that night, all the wolves Kali thought would oppose her reign and her sons's birthrights.

Kali became the werewolf King that night, the first ever ruling she-wolf. It was the beginning her end.