Death's Temptation

From the moment you're born, Death is infatuated with your being.

As an infant, so vulnerable to his touch, but so naive as to never acknowledge such fact. It's up only to those around you to ward away Death's curious touch.

As children, we tempt his hand often. Playing recklessly in roads, riding bikes at dangerous speeds much too fast for a kid. We bump and bruise, and scrape our nears. Defying gravity by scaling trees and ladders, despite the warnings of adults. Once more, allowing Death many a chance to allow fate to claim you, but it holds its own boney fingers back.

We grow and become older, learning to drive and swim, eating odd foods and drinking odd liquids. Challenging one another to idiotic feats. We spend our entire lives teasing death with new skills and luck until eventually we run short of both.

We grey, or become ill. Age slows our minds and bodies, but Death grows lethargic. He is slow to wisk away, from withering bodies into deep relief.

In our lives, we tempt Death constantly. We toy with Death, but we grow to love to do so. As does Death. Death, in love with the risk that is living, and slow to take that gift from the very creatures he grows fond of.