Chapter 7

The next morning, Liam wakes up alone. Though the warm sheets next to him tell him it hasn't been that way for long.

Kicking the comforter to his feet, he lets out a low groan as the cold air rushes past his body. He momentarily contemplates curling back up into the warmth of the blanket, but his stomach flips and he sits up with a huff.

Remembering suddenly that he can't leave Zayn alone too long. Knowing full well his mom could easily be up and about, ready to pounce on Zayn with 1,001 questions before he's even had the chance to get a sip of coffee.

He slides his legs over the edge of the bed, his feet finding the floor. Making his way out the room and down the stairs, he walks past the entryway into the family room, stumbling upon Zayn.

And he's alone. No questions being hurled at him, no embarrassing stories coming at him at over 100 miles per hour.

Liam stands there in the doorway for a moment as relief rushes through him, taking the scene in with a small smile. Zayn's in front of the fireplace, hands clasped around a mug with a grin. His heels are just barely off the ground, leaning in a bit to get a better view of one of the pictures on the mantle.

"Didn't take you for a early riser," Liam mutters as way of a greeting as he comes closer to stand next to Zayn, lightly leaning against him with a low chuckle.

"I'm not," he replies simply, lips upturning as he presses his weight back against Liam.

Because how can he say he woke up with Liam curled up against him? Liam's head cradled in Zayn's chest, as if he could protect Liam from the rest of the world.

And how could he say that he couldn't, he can't? And how could he say that he was afraid to try?

"What're you getting caught up on?" Liam asks, and Zayn gulps as the words bring him back to the moment, watching as Liam's eyes fly up to the picture in front of him.

Zayn nods up to the family picture, all five of them huddled in front of what looks like a shopping center of some sort. "That was from our holiday to London. This was the restaurant right by our hotel," Liam laughs with a shake of his head. "Was mum's favorite restaurant so she asked that we get a family picture in front of it so she could remember its name for later."

After pointing out his sisters--"for later tonight, you know"--he smiles sadly. "Tried to used this restaurant as a bargaining chip. Figured maybe I could get mum to move the whole gang over if I bribed her with some food."

"Didn't work, eh?" Zayn teases, looking over at him with a grin.

"Didn't work," Liam responds with a sigh.

"Why'd you want to go?" Zayn asks quietly. "The house, this city, seems lovely."

"Oh, Zayn, it's such a lovely city," Karen's voice echoes down from the top of the stairs.

Liam starts at the sound of her voice and he's suddenly all too aware of Zayn's arm that never moved from his, practically burning into his skin. Gulping, he brings his hands in front of his body to clasp them together. "You'll have to show me then, Karen," Zayn yells back, lips upturning. Watching Liam's movement, he clears his throat, frowning as he takes just a half-step sideways away from Liam.

"I think that's Liam's job." Karen winks as she enters the room. "Though Geoff and I can probably give you two a good start with lunch or something."

Stepping closer, she eyes Zayn's coffee mug. "Zayn, is that water in there?"

Zayn shrugs with a look of chagrin. "I didn't wanna use your coffee machine on my own," he admits, "but a mug seemed nice."