Chapter 14

At first, Zayn's not sure why he's woken up, blearily fluttering his eyes open with a yawn. But quickly enough, he registers the sound. He rolls off the bed, suddenly wide awake as he tiptoes closer to the ajar window. Sliding on some clothes, he takes in the chatter of voices from outside, the occasional questions barked up at the house.

Even before he looks, his quickly sinking stomach reminds him that he knows exactly what he's going to find.

But he double checks anyway.

He peeks his head through the drapes for only a millisecond, but he sees enough to know he's right. Gulping, he quickly shoves the curtains closed. Though he knows it's not possible, he swears he can hear the cameras flashing from the second floor, can almost see the blinding lights in front of him again.

Suddenly itching for Liam, his throat constricts around the realization: this is really happening; they're here. It's not a dream, and he... well, he doesn't know what to do. Doesn't even know where to begin.

Goosebumps darting across his skin, he closes his eyes in an attempt to calm himself down. "Liam," he finally squeaks. After a moment, he forces his eyes open, disappointed to see Liam hasn't moved, hasn't seemed to register Zayn at all.

Clearing his throat, Zayn tries again. "Liam," he gets out, sounding more than a bit panicked.

As he waits for Liam to stir, Zayn's thoughts race through his mind so fast he's practically swimming in them. No, drowning. He can't take any one idea in fast enough, because before he can stop it, his mind has rushed to the next.

How did the paparazzi find them? Zayn chokes on the thought, feeling suddenly woozy as he lets out a shallow breath. How did they—

Liam hums sleepily, interrupting the neverending back-and-forth of Zayn's winding thoughts.

"What's up, Z?" He asks lowly, his voice coming out froggy.

"There's—" Zayn swallows hard, afraid to explain to Liam. Afraid that saying the words aloud will only make it worse, will only make it all somehow more real. "The—" Zayn suddenly can't wade through his thoughts, can't seem to pinpoint just one. He knows exactly what he's supposed to say, but he can't seem to find the words.

"Zayn?" Liam pops his eyes open, forcing himself awake as he senses the panic behind Zayn's voice. "Babe, what is it?"

"Paps" is all Zayn can whisper, his heart drumming through his whole body. He moves to the edge of the bed to steady his shaking hands on the wooden frame.

Liam stands quickly, eyes widening as he swears under his breath. Pulling on his boxers and sweatpants from the floor, he does his best to get a glimpse of the outside without blowing their cover.

Watching Liam shove the curtains closed again, Zayn lets out a deep sigh. Finally having found his voice again, he squints his eyes shut, breathily drawling, "What do we do, Liam?"

Liam draws his eyebrows together. Looking concerned as he slowly shakes his head, he doesn't answer.

Not able to cage his thoughts in any longer, Liam's vocal absence allows Zayn to ponder them all at once. "How did they know we were here?" Zayn asks, feeling suddenly overwhelmed as he stumbles a bit closer to the head of the bed. Ungracefully plopping down on the edge of it, he bends over, placing his forearms against his legs as he bores his eyes into the carpet underneath his feet.