Chapter 11

Zayn wakes to the sound of ruffling sheets, a noise that he's heard more than a few times tonight.

"Liam?" Zayn whispers, voice coming out more as a croak than a question.

Liam freezes, the comforter lying still. He hums quietly in response, hesitant, just in case he had only thought he'd heard his name.

"Can't sleep?" Zayn asks gently as he scoots his body a couple inches closer to Liam.

Liam flips his body around so he's facing Zayn. "No," Liam admits lowly, voice laced with worry.

"Do you want..." With a gulp, Zayn brings his body just one inch closer. He clears his throat before continuing on quietly. "Do you want me to help?"

Liam chuckles breathily, not quite sure what he means. He shrugs before realizing Zayn likely can't see him. Instead, he teases, "If you're insinuating holding me until I fall asleep, then sure."

Zayn holds his breath momentarily, not daring to exhale. His body is frozen, thoughts at a standstill. He blinks. "Can I..." Zayn finally mutters before bringing himself just a bit closer until his body is practically against Liam's, hovering his arm over his side. "Is this okay?"

When Liam nods, humming happily, Zayn slowly drapes his arm around Liam. "Turn around," Zayn orders as his hand finds Liam's back. He begins rubbing his hand in circles over the soft, plaid pajama fabric.

Liam complies, flipping as he brings his back closer to Zayn, just enough so that their bodies lock together.

There's a moment of silence as Zayn soothingly traces little patterns over what has now become Liam's chest. "I'm glad you're here, Zed," Liam mumbles sleepily, already sounding more relaxed than he has all night.

"Thanks for bringing me, Li," Zayn replies sincerely, lifting his head up just for a moment so he can peck a kiss to the top of Liam's head.

More like a thought than an actual intended statement, Liam mumbles, "Wouldn't have come here again without you." He sighs, lifting his hand up to press against Zayn's, which is still staking claim on his chest. "Not with all the shit that I've left behind."

Zayn huffs, shifting his motions so that he's massaging up Liam's arms, one and then the other. "Never going to sleep if you dwell on that right now, babe," he gets out gently, speaking as reassuringly as he can.

Liam exhales in response, his whole body sloping downwards from the forceful motion. "I know," he says bitterly.

Leaning his head back against Zayn's shoulder, Zayn smiles, moving his head just slightly to find Liam's ear. He places his palm back on its place on Liam's chest before he leans in. "What if I sang you a lullaby?"

Liam giggles at this, not having expected those to be the words that fall from Zayn's lips. "Are you calling me a baby, Zayn?" Liam grins, not moving. He has an urge to playfully knock into him, but his limbs feel too sleepy to move. He really is a baby.

"No, you sod," he groans, but his lips upturn as he clicks his tongue lightly.

His fingers moving to gently comb through his hair, Liam hums in response, nuzzling into Zayn's touch. He doesn't quite know how to ask Zayn to sing to him. The words knock around in his head but fall short of his tongue.

At Liam's silence, though, Zayn begins humming a few bars of the light, Desi tune.

Liam mumbles out something that sounds an awful lot like "Continue". So he does.