Twelve

The Weasley twins were taking bets. Me and Tom were walking with Neville to the boat. Late last night, I found Neville and asked him to get me some gilliweed.
"You sure this will work?" Tom asked us.
"Most likely," Neville answered.
"Potentially not, but it's better then nothing," I sighed, taking the greenery from Neville. We got on the boat and rowed out to where the competition was taking place.
"Welcome to the second task. Last night something was stolen from each of our champions. A treasure of sorts. These four treasures, one for each champion, now lie on the bottom of the black lake. In order to win each champion need only find their treasure and return to the surface. Simple enough. Except for this, they will have one hour to do so and one hour only. After that they'll be on
their own," Dumbledore announced. I instantly knew what my treasure was. It was Corina.
"Put that in your mouth," Mad-Eye instructed. I obeyed his orders and swallowed the herb. I was sharp and tasted of mind. I pulled a sour face, as if I had just bit into a lemon.
"You may begin at the start of the cannon," Dumbledore finished. The cannon instantly boomed and I took no hesitation in diving into the water. All I could think about was Corina.

Once I was in the water, my body started tingling. I looked myself over and saw gills and webbed feet. I smiled. It worked. I swam and flipped above water to hear the crowd cheer, Tom and Neville louder then the rest.

After a long time searching I found them. Muffled screaming came from their limp bodies. I untied Corina and began untying Cho. Vicious merpeople appeared.
"But she's my friend too!" I squealed.
"Only one," they hissed, holding up one finger. I pouted like a child that was told they couldn't have any sweets. I sat and waited for everyone to make sure all three treasures were safe. I knew if I lost Corina, I'd go mad. Cho and I we becoming good friends, I didn't want to loose that. Hermione was like a sister to me, if I lost her I'd cry for days. I couldn't bare for Fleur to go through the same thing with her sister.

Cedric swam past and cut Cho's ties with a knife. Cedric had a bubble over his face. He shot me a sorrowful look and swam up to the surface with Cho. I rolled my eyes and continued waiting.

Viktor looked at me and nodded as he got Hermione free. I nodded back and smiled. He swam back up to the surface.

Soon enough, my charm was wearing off and Fleur's sister hadn't been saved. I cut her free and sent her up with Corina, knowing Corina would take care of her. Suddenly, the merpeople began dragging me down. My mind churned for a spell to help me escape. I cast one that propelled me to the surface. I shot up and everyone cheered.
"Iris!" Dumbledore called as I got back up on the platform via the ladder. I coughed up some water.
"Get her a towel!" Crouch ordered. A towel was thrown around me by someone who I didn't manage to see.
"I want all the judges over here now!" Dumbledore ordered, rushing off somewhere.
"You saved her, even though she wasn't yours to save. My little sister! Thank you! And you, you helped too!" She thanked me and Corina. We nodded and high-fived. Tom came rushing over and hugged us both.
"You both did so well. Even if you don't come first I'm proud," Tom gushed.
"Don't get sappy on me, McHaven, before I push you into that fucking lake," I groaned. He laughed and pulled away from me and Corina. Hermione came up to us.
"Are you alright? You must be freezing!
Personally I think you behaved admirably," She grinned.
"I finished last, Hermione," I huffed.
"Penultimate, actually," She corrected.
"Attention! Attention! The winner is...
Mr Diggory!" Dumbledore announced. Cedric and his friends cheered. All of my friend groaned, even Viktor.
"For showing unique command of the bubblehead shark. The way I see it, Miss Potter would have finished first had it not been for his determination to rescue not
only Miss Court but the others as well. We've agreed to award her second place! For outstanding moral fibre," Dumbledore continued. We all cheered. Fleur and Biktor patted me on the back.

We were walking out of the boat when the Weasley's walked up to me.
"All the moral fibre, eh?" Fred smirked.
"Blimey even when you go wrong it turns
out right!" Ron exclaimed.
"Well Don't 'moral fibre'" George snickered. They ran ahead and Crouch took their place.
"Congratulations Potter, fine achievement. Well done girl. I'm sorry we haven't spoken, after all your story is one I've heard many times. Quite remarkable. Tragic of course, to lose one's family. Never whole again are we? Still, life goes on. And here we stand. I'm sure
your parents would be very proud today
Potter," Crouch said. I smiled.
"Bartimus! Not trying to lure Potter
into one of the ministry's summer internships
are we? Last person who went into the department of ministries never came out!" Moody scolded and I laughed awkwardly. Crouch rolls his eyes and walks away.
"And they say I'm mad," Moody chuckled to himself.

I had my towel wrapped around my lanky body as Cedric went to talk to me.
"Wait, Iris!" He called.
"If you're going to kiss me again I don't want to hear it! ...well feel it," I snapped, my wet hair flipped as I turned.
"I have no idea why Cho was my treasure. I guess it was because your my treasure, but you couldn't be stolen since you were competing," He blushed.
"No. I'm not your treasure. Your treasure is what you'd miss most if you were gone. You can't miss me, I'm already gone," I shouted, turning away.
"Cho means nothing to me,"
"I'm sure she doesn't. As soon as she discovered how much of a arrogant prick you were she left, forcing you to find someone else's life to ruin. I'm not going to sit down and let that life be mine. I have a competition to worry about," I spat, continuing my journey back to Ravenclaw.