Breakfast Ballad

The race home was intense. Never knowing who was in first as you and your father rushed home from work to win the ultimate prize. The decision of what was for dinner. Upon reaching the apartment building you spotted your father rapidly pressing the buttons of the elevator. Holding onto your bag tightly, your form raced up the stairs and reached the floor just as the elevator did. A long spring ensued as the two of you hit the doorway at the same time and the two of you tried to squeeze through it at once. Then you both yelled out at the same time what you wished to have for dinner.

Dad/(Y/n): PANCAKES!!!

Your dad looked at you and then smiled. 

Mom: good thing I was already made pancakes.

Dad: But baby, how did you know?

Mom: We have pancakes six times a month or... was it five? I don't know, but we have them a lot. Go get changed and I'll finish them up!

Your dad and you managed to untangle from each other as your father dragged into the room he shared with your mother and you walked into your room to throw on something quick to eat and later take a shower. Throwing on a simple shirt and pajama pants you made your way back to the kitchen to sit down to a fresh plate of pancakes. Surprisingly your dad wasn't at the table yet, in fact, he walked past the table to the front door. You decided to not question things as you had already acquired your pancakes. (I'm not gonna describe the pancakes cause I don't know what you like on your pancakes) Cutting into the savory treat your brought the fork to your mouth and bite down into the pancake, relishing in the wonderful taste. 

Dad: Hey uh kiddo?

Your gaze looked up and met your dad's only to reel back a bit. On his face was the smuggest of smug expressions. 

(Y/n): Y-Yes?

Dad: A girl left you something.

Mom: A girl you say?!

Your mom joined your dad and on her face was a look of pure smugness.

(Y/n): We're reaching levels of smugness that shouldn't even be possible.

Mom: Why didn't you tell me you had a girlfriend?!

(Y/n): Because I don't!

Dad: That girl from this morning left this note here for you. I told you not to run off with any girls yet kiddo.

(Y/n): Taiga? Why would she- I'm not gonna run off with her! J-Just give me the letter!

You were blushing in embarrassment as your Dad see the letter on the table so he could sit down and enjoy his own pancakes. You gripped it and hesitated slightly before opening the envelope and looking at the message.

(Y/n): She wants to invite me to breakfast in her room tomorrow.

Mom: How nice! Making friends already sweetie!

Dad: How was school, kiddo?

(Y/n): I made a few new friends and got acquainted with the teachers. That's basically all you can do on the first day of school. But I think I'm gonna like this school.

Dad: Thash god.

Your dad spoke with a mouthful of pancake, syrup dripping down his chin. Your mom let out a sigh and reached over with a napkin wiping your dad's chin for him.

Mom: I swear you're more of a child than an adult.

Dad: It keeps me hip! I'm chill with these here youngsters!

Mom: I love you, goofball

Dad: I love you too baby.

You smile fondly at watching your parents. They had been through so much and to still have so much love for each other... you wished sometimes you could find something like that.