Chapter Three

It was late and dark. Barely anybody was on the roads anymore, all I could see was my headlights. My heart was racing and my hands were shaking, which probably wasn't good since I was driving. Tears were endlessly streaming down my face. I was so angry but I was so delighted. He put me through so much pain that I really never needed to go through. My poor children. The things people would do for money, it's ridiculous.

I get it, I should be happy. He was alive, but why wasn't I jumping off the walls? Something was about to be very wrong, I just can't put my finger on it. I speeded down the highway, poor Eth and Gray were working overtime. Hopefully Nicky and Bev were asleep. My friends have been such a big help, I don't know what I would do without them.

I came across my stoplight and stopped the car in a rush, my head flung forward a bit and my purse fell to the ground. I picked myself up and looked around, no one was here. I decided now was my time. I slammed my fist against the wheel and screamed. I wanted my anger and out, but I just couldn't scream any longer. My voice wore out and I was shivering. I couldn't stop crying. I'm worthless. He left me because he didn't need me. He left this family. He wanted a way out so he took it.

The light turned green but I didn't drive. I was so focused on what my life would be like now. How could I have been so clueless? I was so blinded by the thought of Alex being dead, I didn't even take into consideration the largest details looking me directly into my face. What was all of it for? All the pain?

The light was now yellow. I pulled down my mirror and looked at myself. I was a mess. My hair was flying in every direction possible, I gathered it all together and put it in a ponytail. My face was stained from my mascara. I tried wiping it away but I needed water for it all to disappear. I grabbed the four week old foundation sitting in my glove box-that I really had no use for until today-and covered up the mascara.

My eyes were puffy and my cheeks were red, there was no way to cover that up. Again, I was freezing and shivering. I grabbed Ethan's old sweatshirt from the back of my car. He left it in here when we went on a very fun sunset hike with the kids and Liza, David, and Gray. I miss days like those. I smiled to myself a little bit.

I turned on the radio. Music was my safe haven. When I had absolutely no where to go, I turned to music. It was soothing and delicate, well the music I listened to anyway. But it was a complete mistake. My wedding song-the one Alex and I dance too-was playing. Home by Blue October. But I didn't turn it off. Why didn't I turn it off?

"I'll smile if I want to
I'm not afraid, gonna flaunt it too
What a glow when you're living true
Yeah

I'm living for the right now
I had a few friends show me how
I take a deep breath and blow it out
Let it go

But listen I—
I can't wait to see what's around the corner
I can't wait to soar
Baby, I lie awake and I watch you sleeping
thinking it's the little things that make a home

Like dancing in the kitchen in the pale moonlight
Only care in the world is that our kids are all right
Daddy loves mamma and mamma loves him
Tomorrow we get to do it over again

So smile at me, baby, take my breath away
With the good Lord willing, I'll be happy to say
That daddy loves mamma and mamma loves him
Tomorrow we get to do it over again

I feel like I'm gonna win
And I'm as proud as I've ever been
'Cause I'm surrounded with some good friends
Yeah, good friends, good friends