Chapter 6

The address they'd received lead them to a typical suburban neighborhood, with trees that lined the sidewalk and houses that all looked similar in shape and size. Dean parked the car on the curb directly in front of a light gray single story home. Both of them simultaneously got out of the car, the sun lighting up the back of their heads. The angel didn't move from where he stood beside Baby. His eyes were locked on the house even as Dean stepped in front of his view.

    "Remember," he said, reaching up to fix Castiel's blue tie, "let me do all the talking." He lifted his gaze, fixing his eyes to Castiel's.

    "I don't see why I'm needed here if I won't be speaking at all."

    Dean smoothed out his blazer, finishing with a gentle pat to the chest. Satisfied with the angel's appearance, he flashed a grin. "The buddy system, Cas." He turned to the house and started up the walkway with Castiel trailing close behind. "No one's going to believe we're FBI agents if we don't go together. Those guys always interview in partners for witnesses if they get lied to or some shit like that."

    "But we aren't FBI agents."

    "I know that, but for the sake of this case we are."

    They step up to the porch and Dean takes a minute to straighten himself out before pushing his index finger against the white button to the side. They can both hear the doorbell's ringing echo throughout the house.

    Seconds later, a mousy woman opened the door. She peeked her head out at them, looking from Castiel to Dean and then back to Castiel. Her hold on the door tightened until her knuckles turned white and she refused to show them anything aside from her head, using the wooden door as a shield of sorts.

    "Linda Zanetti?"

    Her eyes snapped back to Dean, and she slowly nodded her confirmation. "May I help you?" she asked quietly.

    Smiling at her, Dean reached into the inside pocket of his suit, nudging Castiel as he took his badge out. "I'm Agent Mosley," he said, flashing her his identification. "This is my partner, Agent Moscone." He nodded over to Castiel, only to find out too late that the angel was holding his badge upside down. Awkwardly, he flipped it around in Castiel's hands. "He's new." Dean cleared his throat, putting the wallet back into his pocket. "Can we come in to ask you a few questions?"

    "Oh, um, of course. Sure, right this way," she mumbled. She stepped aside, opening the door wider to allow the men to enter. Once they've both crossed over the threshold, Ms. Zanetti shut the door and silently moved in front of them. She lead them through a short hall, past several pictures of childish drawings taped to the wall, and into a decently sized family room. She motioned to the love seat that faced the television screen. "Please."

    Dean picked up a teddy bear from the corner of the couch, setting it at his feet so he can properly sit down. Castiel joined him on the couch, bumping their knees together. Dean cleared his throat, his whole body stiffening, and he pushed his entire body against the arm of the chair.

    Ms. Zanetti smiled softly at them, grabbing a wooden chair from the corner of the room. She didn't bother moving the miniature wolf before she dragged it to the sofa and sat down. She was leaning forward with her elbows on her knees and her hands clasped together, sitting right across from the two.

    Ms. Zanetti started playing with her own fingers, moving her eyes down to her hands. "What is this about?" she finally asked.

    "We're here concerning the death of Leopold Short and his family."

    She went rigid and wide-eyed. Everything about her looked frightened.

    Dean smiled, trying to calm her down. "We've been informed that you are somehow connected with Mr. Short," he said. Just by her reactions she was immediately put on his suspects list, but nothing about her gave him any sort of supernatural vibes.