Chapter three

The rattling chatter of metal on metal sounded, signalling the end of class. With all the new technology, it was surprising they hadn't made a new bell, one that didn't sound like nails on a chalkboard, or done up the older houses in Arabel. Next to the city fence it was all bricks and cracked plaster, but closer to the city centre, it was all perfect concrete and sleek iron - functional, industrial and stylish.

It was with great pleasure that Kyra finally let her features relax and began to pack up her things. Pretending to smile and pay attention for the rest of the hour, while necessary, was a lot of work. After slipping the Tab into her backpack she slung one strap over her shoulder and headed towards the door, James half a step behind her.

"Good luck with your Vinctures!" the teacher called, her voice barely audible over the pounding footsteps and murmured conversations. At the mention of that simple word, the sense of calm Kyra had feigned evaporated, and was quickly replaced with fear. It coiled and writhed in her stomach like a snake, filling her with a sense of dread worse than any she'd experienced before. As bodies pushed her ahead, she studied the faces that passed her, and found her nerves mirrored there. At least I'm not the only one, she thought, though it didn't help much.

"Well, that was a fun lesson," James said, strolling along at Kyra's side. The sight of it almost made her mad; somehow he was never worried about these things, as though the threat of their Vinctures was something that happened on a regular basis. It wasn't as though the test was meant to be terrifying, but for the few citizens that didn't try hard in their youth, the test was their last shot. It was James' last shot. She knew better than to ask him about what he thought, knowing he'd just lecture her about 'the future being inevitable.' Yeah right. The future depended on how well they did on their tests and in school; everyone knew that.

"You weren't even listening," Kyra teased lightly. She was sure a better retort would come to her later, but for now that would have to do, as her mind was elsewhere.

Twenty hours. She racked her brain for facts, words and equations, anything that could possibly help her, but nothing came to mind. She was tempted to pull out her Tab and start studying, but it would be pointless. No books could help her. The Vinctures were made to test the citizens, to see what they were really made of. If a person's personality was horrible, their results would be as well, and they'd get a life just as bad to match.

"Who would want to listen to a lecture about animal reproduction? I'd rather listen to Danny and Eva arguing about which one of them is cuter." James pretended to shiver, his nose wrinkling. Kyra's older brother, Danny, received his partner the year before, and they'd been inseparable since. 

Kyra's eye roll quickly turned to a frown as they stepped into the cafeteria. "Well congratulations, you just got your wish."

Huddled away at a table in the back corner were two very familiar faces, and though they were far apart, their eyes were glued to each other, so much so that Kyra was sure even a fire drill wouldn't make them look away. Danny and Evaleen were one of those rare couples that fell in love straight after their Vinctures. So for the last year she'd had to put up with puppy dog eyes, sloppy kisses and hushed whispers late at night. It didn't bother her much though; if she ever found love, she'd want it to be like that - she'd want it to be real. Perhaps a little less nauseating, but real all the same.

With every citizen under eighteen all cramped into the small cafeteria, it was a tight squeeze. They grabbed their food trays at the entrance; so lost in thought, Kyra almost forgot to take hers from the Enforcer supervising lunch, but he pushed it into her hands - eating wasn't an option. It was a requirement.

James pushed through the students, creating a clear path for Kyra to follow. Most people were poring over books or talking about their last class with their friends, not a care in the world. All the students her age, however, seemed to be sitting, frozen in their seats, gazes blankly locked on their untouched food. Those who weren't called out to James, exchanging "hello"'s and "how are you"'s. He was always the popular one, no matter where they went - which suited her just fine.