Chapter thirty

--- renovated chapter---

An icy chill settled over the streets as the sun fell lower in the sky and cast a faint orange glow over the buildings. Deep shadows contrasted with the fading rays, plunging the twists and turns of the factory sector into darkness. Kyra allowed silent tears to slide down her cheeks, pausing every so often to catch her breath in between sobs. By the time they arrived at the Exempt headquarters her eyes were dry. James never said a word.

A flashing red light cast an eerie glow over the shadows in the foyer. Usually bustling, the space was unnerving at night, empty except for them and the fog leaving their mouths with each exhale. Kyra crossed her arms and buried her chin in the collar of her coat, part of her hoping she could avoid the meeting by disappearing in the folds of fabric.

"They sent everyone home," James observed, lashes casting harsh shadows against his cheeks as he scanned the darkness. "Unusual for the Commander. I wonder what he wants."

"Nothing good, I bet."

As they approached the door slid open, sending the shadows crawling back to the corners.

"Can't get any worse, can it?" James' hand on her back edged her forward. Softly, he said, "Don't worry, I'm right here with you."

She took a deep breath - as if each molecule of air was full of courage - and stepped inside. The Commander sat at the head of the table, of course; Ethan sat across from him. In the second it took her to find Ethan's eyes, the door slid shut behind her, the warmth of where James' hand had been the only sign remaining of him. She whipped around but it was too little, too late.

"It's worse," she murmured, turning back to face the room.

"Miss Jackson." The Commander tilted his head, motioning for her to take a seat. She slid in next to Ethan. She gripped his hand under the table - the warm and calloused palm familiar against her own - anticipating the dreadful words about to leave the Commander's mouth.

The Commander leaned forward, chin resting on his fingertips. "From what I've heard your preparations are going well."

Kyra couldn't hide the surprise that crossed her face. "Reasonably."

"Is that all you called us down here to say?" Ethan asked, brows furrowed. 

The Commander breathed a sigh. "Pleasantries, citizens."

Kyra had a strong urge to tell the Commander where to shove those "pleasantries". The thought pulled her up short. Frowning, she wondered where exactly she'd learned that phrase; James, most likely. It was still strange for her to think of things she didn't remember learning or know about things she'd never seen.

"Our time is a bit limited these days," Ethan said through gritted teeth. "I'd suggest getting to the point."

"Very well." The Commander reached under the desk and slid a Tab to them. "Our plan to rescue the Outsiders has been moved forward."

Kyra's hand froze on the Tab. "To when?"

"Tomorrow night."

The words were so calm, said so easily that Kyra didn't realise what they meant for several moments. Panic clawed from her stomach to her chest, its fiery fingers attempting to escape her throat. She hugged her abdomen tightly as if that would keep her life from falling apart. Kyra composed herself enough to say, "Why has it been moved forward?"

The Commander leaned back in his seat, sighing. "Because the Outsiders' execution has been set for a month from now.

Kyra's body tensed, her hand clamping on Ethan's like a vice. Her eyes went to the wall of glass - all that separated her from James. His sister, a girl Kyra had grown up next to, known since she was a child, was to be executed. Everything relied on them, on the plan two teenagers had concocted. Either they succeeded, or Ashley... she couldn't even think the word.