Chapter thirty-four

Silence filled the space. After a long while, James cleared his throat. "This is the tamest family reunion I've seen in a while."

Ashley's squeal managed to drag Kyra back from the dark pit of her mind as the girl rushed forward, reaching her brother in two strides. They laughed, sinking into each other. James spun, his eyes wide and unblinking, gripping her tighter and tighter. His lips were moving, whispering something only Ashley could hear.

James pulled back to touch either side of Ashley's face. "You're alive," he whispered, voice thick.

She nodded, pulling him in for another embrace. "And so are you. What the hell are you doing here?"

"That Enforcer your buddy just dragged around the corner? My partner for the night." He pursed his lips, thinking. "Wondered why she was taking so long in the bathroom."

"I thought you weren't working tonight?" Kyra asked, finally finding her voice.

"The Commander found me an hour ago and told me to be on duty nearby. I guess he was in a charitable mood."

Kyra and Ethan exchanged a glance. Charitable was one word for it; she preferred 'destructive' or 'manipulative', but each to their own.

Nico clapped his hands. "We have to get out of here. Now."

Ashley's eyes narrowed. "Give me a second with my brother, for all he knew I was dead."

"For all we know we could be dead any minute."

James glanced out the window. "He's right. Every Enforcer in the city is on high alert."

"Well, the supply truck plan is out then," Kyra murmured. Her eyes itched to find Demario, to see whether what he'd just done was weighing on him as much as it was weighing on her. Her mind flicked between images of the Enforcer and the body she'd seen in her dream about her father month's ago. Different people, different ages, different killers - both bodies fell like broken puppets, silent, still.

"No one will be allowed within a kilometre radius without permission from the president himself."

Kyra's chest tightened. To conceal her expression she bent to retrieve a stun gun from its spot on the floor. As she rose, a hand slipped into hers. The familiar calloused palm almost made her feel right. Almost.

"Are you okay?" James' whisper was steady; knowing her voice wouldn't be, she nodded. She shivered but didn't recoil as his hand squeezed, gentle – and then her palm was cold once again.

James stepped into the centre of the room, pacing. "There must be other ways to get you out of the city."

"I have an idea." Ethan glanced outside, thinking. "Have you heard of the old fire escapes? They were created for workers to get in and out of the wall while they were building it. When it was done they boarded it up but the tunnels are still there. I don't know where they are but I know how to get them open."

"The Exempt use the neighbouring tunnels all the time, I've seen the entrances I just figured they led to nowhere. Where do they come up?" James asked.

"The tree line."

"One problem - those doors are screwed shut, we'd need serious tech to get out."

"My original plan when I was going solo involved the tunnels, there's an identical one back home. That was before, you know, your leader tried to use me to infiltrate the Control centre and betray everything and everyone I've ever known." Ethan's voice faded into silence. Clearing his throat, he added, "Anywho, I can get it open."

"Alright, it's settled then. Leave in pairs, follow behind me and Ashley. One group every ten seconds. No matter what, don't lose sight of us. Alright?"