Chapter 7: Believe It or Not

Sunday arrived; the weekend was almost over. I just have to call Amy and Pam to meet Dainu. I can imagine the looks on their faces when they see him. I don't know if Amy will still disbelieve or not, but once I prove it to them, then I won't be the only one. I'm still anxious about introducing Dainu into the public. Should I take Dainu to school tomorrow? Should I introduce him the whole town? To our society and culture? No. Not yet. I don't think the community is ready yet. Everyone will stare, freak out, or even attack Dainu. I know they'll do all that. Every alien movie has people panicking and attacking the harmless alien (you probably might agree to this too). Right now, I'm just going to keep him hidden until the time is right.

As soon as I got up from bed, I quickly changed my clothes and went down stairs for breakfast. Mom was in the kitchen, washing some dishes. Dean was nowhere in sight. Thank God I can finally have my peace and quiet without him. Mom finished washing the silverware and sat next to me.

"Did you sleep well?" she asked.

"Yes," I answered. "Where is that Mr. Jackson guy? Is he out of here? He's not coming back anymore?"

"No, Dean is in your father's study room doing some work."

Darn! I thought.

"By the way," Mom continued. "I talked to Dean this morning about what you told me about him, and he said he didn't ask any personal questions to you. He told me he was just asking what your friends were like and what your school was like."

"No, he wasn't, Mom" I said. "He's lying! He was asking a lot of weird, personal questions. I swear."

"Kaley, you're overreacting. Stop all this nonsense. I don't understand why you don't like him."

"Because he's a pest. He keeps pouring question on me so that I will give out what he wants. He's putting too much pressure on me. Can't you see it's driving me crazy?!"

"Kaley," Mom reassured gently. "I'm sure Dean is not doing any of that to you. He's a good man. He just wants to get to know you. So stop overreacting. And besides,  are you covering something up?"

I can't believe it! Now she's suspecting I'm hiding something from her. How can she suddenly distrust me, but trust a total stranger? Now both Dean and my mother are going to pour billions of questions on me, until I give in. I will never, even if Dean tortures me, give up my secret. Dean will never know, even if it will take him 100 years.

"No, Mom," I lied. "I am not hiding anything. Now will you please give me some space?" Mom looked at me with hurt. I had disrespected her and she doesn't like it when I disrespect her. "I'm sorry, Mom. I'm just so angry and annoyed."

"I'm sorry, too," Mom said. "I didn't mean to question you and get you more hyped up. Let's just drop the subject, OK?"

"OK," I agreed.

I heard Dean was coming down the steps. Great, my peaceful moment was about to be ruined. He put on his trench coat, put on his shoes, and grabbed his suitcase.

"I'm going to be working outside today," he said to Mom.

"Alright, but make sure you make it in time for dinner," she joked.

Dean chuckled. "Don't worry, I will. Bye, Kaley." He gave me another fake smile. I fake smiled him back. He went out and closed the door behind him. I'm glad that he's gone.

"Mom, is it OK if I go out too?" I asked.

"Sure, you can," she said. "Be back until lunch. Don't get into any trouble."