Chapter 14: Raving

Saturdays are my most favorite days. You get to chill at home, or go out and have some fun, and you don't have to do any homework. What I like to do the most of all on Saturdays is dance my head off at the Ravers Club. It's one of the best and safest clubs in this whole town for us teens. I go there at least every month, just to dance my stress away with the music. My mom got me a free pass to that club on my fourteenth birthday, and I was giddy with excitement. My friends and I would go to get ourselves high over the music. The best part about this club is that it's safe. They have the best security at that club. Nobody has ever gotten robbed or shot or violated. There were plenty of guards inside and outside the club, and a metal detector when you first enter the club. There's also no alcohol there; mostly Coke, energy drinks, coffee, and lattes. It's the best place where we teens can be teens and be themselves without judgement.

"So, how was your outing with the foreign exchange student?" Mom asked the next morning while I was eating breakfast.

"It was the bomb!" I said, excitedly. "My friends and I took him to the mall, and we had a blast. We took him shopping, and let him try on new clothes. We were acting crazy when he picked out the hottest clothes. We also let him try a smoothie, and he liked that too."

"Sounds like you guys had fun," she said. "What's the student's name?"

"Dainu," I mistakenly said. I stopped chewing when I realized I had accidentally slipped and said his name. Just great. Now that she knows his name, she would want to meet him, and she'll throw a panic attack when she sees him. How carelessly stupid I was.

"Day-nu?" Mom asked, looking a little confused in pronouncing the name. "What is that, Slovenian or something?"

I gulped my waffle. "No. He's....Swedish."

"Oh. Interesting."

"I was thinking about taking him to Ravers Club today," I added. "Is that OK with you?"

"Did you finish all your homework?"

"Yep."

"Then you can go. But what about his parents? Are you sure they will be OK with that?"

I better think of something quickly.

"Um, his parents aren't with him. He's living by himself in an apartment," I lied.

"You mean," gasped Mom, "he's an orphan, and he's living all alone with no one to take of him?"

Here we go again. "Don't worry, Mom. It's OK; he knows how to take care of himself. And he has neighbors that check on him every day. He's OK living by himself. As long as I'm around, he's not lonely."

Nice recovery, Kaley.

"OK, if he has other people that check on him, I guess that means he's not totally alone," she said.

I washed my plate after I finished eating, and went to my room to call my friends. I asked them if they wanted to come to Ravers Club with Dainu and me. Amy had to finish up her homework, and Pam had some chores to do. It's a good thing I never rush to do my chores or homework.

Mom ordered me to get the mail. I strolled out toward the mailbox and pick up the mail from inside. As I was about to head home, I noticed Dainu was outside of Kyle's house, near his bushes. What the heck is he doing out there exposing himself like that?

"Dainu!" I shouted, running towards him.

"Good morning to you, Kaley," he said smiling.