Chapter 20: The Breakout

I had a responsibility: to protect Dainu. That has gone done the drain. I had lost not only my best friend, but the trust Dainu had on me. Even though he's very open to forgiveness, I don't think there will be an inch of forgiveness in him for what has happened.

I had no idea where they were taking my mom and me; they blindfolded us and put us in a car -- or was it a truck -- and were taken somewhere outside of town. They told us that we had to wear it, because of their base, or whatever it was, was "top secret." Mom held me close the whole time; she was more afraid than I was. I had to be brave for her.

After about an hour of driving, they took us out of the vehicle and held our arms to guide us in their direction they were taking us. They took off our blindfolds and we found ourselves in a big, empty room with a long rectangular table with chairs in the center. There were no windows or air vents in the room at all. There were two cameras in two corners on the wall parallel from each other and a small TV at the end of the table. This looks like some kind of a conference room.

The large metal door clicked loudly and slowly swung open. Dean entered the room, followed by another man in a military uniform. He was much taller and older than Dean, and he had more muscle on him. His face was a little wrinkly at the cease of his mouth, frown lines on his forehead; thick, brown eyebrows, and a broad chin and shoulders. On his uniform, he had a multitude of colorful badges on the left side of his chest. I knew right away that he was the general.

"Kaley, Mrs. Langstrom," Dean announced. "This is General Mustang. He's the head of this base. He's going to do some interviewing with your 'friend'."

I jumped out of my seat. "Where the heck is he?! What have you done with him?"

"He's in a guarded place, ma'am," said the general. "We'll keep him there until we're through with him."

"How long?" I asked.

"Until we're through with him," Dean repeatedly firmly.

"You people better not lay a finger on him," I scolded. "I don't want you military scumbags dissected him like he's some kind of lab rat. He's done nothing to you!"

"Not yet, at least," Dean said. "He might be harmless now, but he'll soon show his true colors. And we'll be able to stop him."

"We don't know much about him," Mustang said. "Not even you. You don't know what kind of mind he's planning up there. This highly intelligent being might've killed you and plan to attack this world next. You're lucky Dean here was around to stop it."

"You're wrong! Dainu's harmless; he doesn't want any of this. He hates violence. You're making the biggest judgmental mistake of your lives!"

"Dainu? Is that what you call him?" teased Dean. "I never knew you like naming your pet. You women are so blind by the 'cute and cuddly'."

I charged myself towards him, ignoring my mom's protest to stop. I threw my fist at him, but he stopped it. I winced when he started to squeeze my fist hard. He pushed me hard, and I almost stumbled onto the table.

"I don't have time for this childish nonsense," he said. "Let's go, general before our creature gets untamed." He looked at me when he said that. I knew he was referring it to me more than Dainu. They shut the door behind them, leaving us as their prisoners.

Mom looked at me with worried eyes. "Why is this happening, Kaley?"

I didn't answer.

"You've been lying to me all along, and you've put us in danger. Why didn't you tell me? Why didn't you tell me what was going on?!"

"Because I didn't want you freaking out and tattle-telling on me," I snapped. "I didn't give in on the secret to you, because you couldn't handle the truth. Besides, you never believed me when I told you anyway. I warned you about Dean, but you never believed me, your own daughter."