Chapter 22: Recovery

I woke up and found myself lying on the couch in my family room. Mom, Kyle, and of course, Dainu were all sitting by my side. Mom enclosed me in her hug while she cries and laughs happily, relieved that I was still alive. I rolled my eyes and started to blush in embarrassment.

"OK, Mom, that's enough," I said. "I'm fine."

"No, you were not fine," Mom cried. "You were terribly hurt, and you were screaming and I was so scared!"

"Mom," I groaned, and hugged her some more, "It's OK. It's all over."

After Mom hugged and cried some more on my shoulder, it was Dainu's turn to hug and comfort me. Kyle wasn't much of a huggy person, so he gave me a small squeeze on my shoulder.

Dainu handed me a glass of water. "Here," he said. "Drink some water. I filtered it myself." He gave me a wink.

I took the glass and took two swallows. "What happened to me?" I asked. "I don't remember much, except for, pain, shouting, and a lot of hands holding me down."

"Dean shot you out of the blue," Kyle said. "He snatched the General's gun out of his pocket, and tried to shoot Dainu, but missed. You were completely in shock and tried everything to calm you down."

"Oh, wow," I sighed. "I was that bad?"

"Yes, quite fanatic," Dainu commented. "Luckily, I had the chance to heal your wound in time before your faint."

"I was so scared, Kaley," Mom said. "I thought I was going to lose you, and I would be all alone."

I thought about that. Mom would have been seriously depressed if she lost me. I don't know if she would even feel like living anymore.

"But, I am very proud of you," she continued. "You had the guts to stand up for your friend even if it meant risking your life. I was never as strong as you or your father. I've learned something from you today, and I am grateful to have you."

That made me very proud of myself when she said that.

"Yeah, that was somethin'," Kyle said, smiling. "A girl like you had some guts out there. Someone at your age wouldn't have the guts to do that." He playfully punched me on the shoulder.

"I, too, am grateful for your courage, Kaley," Dainu said next. "Bravery can come out as a show, but the bravery inside you keeps you securely away from fear. And that is what led you to face your challenges. Because you had stared back at fear and proved that you were invincible."

I was so touched by what my family and friends were saying to me. I felt new enlightening emotions in me that I had never felt in a long time. Hope and self-confidence.

"Oh, now you guys are making me cry," I choked a little as I wiped a tear from my eye.

"Let your tears of joy enlighten your happiness," Dainu said softly.

I leaned over and hugged Dainu. He hugged me back in a special, sweet, friendship kind of hug. Mom and Kyle joined in our group hug, and I was stuffed in the middle like sweet fruits stuffed it a cornucopia.

We all released each other after several seconds.

"I never felt so good about myself, Dainu," I said. "You guys are the best. And I'm glad you're my best friend. We are definitely BFFs, that means best friends forever."

"No," he remarked. "We are more than that." He placed his hand on top of my head. "We are a single soul dwelling in two bodies."

"That's Aristotle," I stated.

Dainu smiled broadly and pleasantly. "Precisely."