Chapter 1

Enjoy

**********

I slowly stretch out my limbs and sit up rubbing my eyes. First day of term today. Yay. Ok to be completely honest, I hate school. I'm the type that sits at the front and focuses blankly at the board, never actually taking anything in. I fail in nearly every class apart for music. I like music. I also think the teachers hate me because they are always giving me detentions. I'm not a bad guy or anything. Maybe they think I'm ignoring them because I don't talk. Okay now I'm too far into this, because I have only recently stopped talking. I got detentions because I never did homework because I don't understand it.

"Alex." Mom's voice calls through my door. This is new, mom was normally gone and at work by now. But she quit her job after it happened. I silent tear falls down my cheek. I can't think about it. I won't let myself. You're probably screaming at the screen wanting to know what this mysterious it is but I can't tell you, or anyone. I don't talk. I have since that day. "Alex you have to get up, you have school dear." Mom say opening my door. "Oh hunny, don't cry schools not that bad." She tries to joke but end up in tears too. She wipes her eyes and leaves closing the door behind her.

I sigh and rub my eyes with my blankets. I guess I should get up, I need to get out of this house. I haven't left it in months. Stretching once more I stumble in the direction on my bathroom, kicking my little toe into the door frame in the process. A small yelp falls from my lips and I hop towards the shower. After my shower I stagger around my room trying to find some clean clothes. I pick up a t-shirt and sniff it to check it is clean. It smells a little funky, nothing a little deodorant won't fix. I pull on a pair of jeans and make my way back onto the bathroom to fix my hair. As do my hair I notice I picked up a Blink-182 shirt. My brother's favourite band.

I grab my bag and head downstairs to the kitchen where I pretend to pack food. I smile at mom and kiss her on the cheek as a goodbye. "Have some breakfast hun." She pats my back. I shake my head and tap my wrist saying I don't have any time. She sighs and nods stiffly. She knows I don't eat much anymore. Seeing me like this makes her sad, she gives me the same look she gave Daniel when he was having a tough time.

I give her a tight smile as I leave and put my head phones on, Basket Case by Green Day comes on and I smile slightly but it quickly fades away. I walk towards the bus stop and sit down on the grass, picking at it to pass time. I left the house a little early, I didn't want to see Mom's sympathetic looks. They make me feel like I'm processing pain wrong. Everyone processes in differently. The bus pulls up right on time, good old Jerry, he is the best bus diver around here. I hand him my bus fare as he gives me a goofy smile.

I sit somewhere in the middle, it draws less attention. I pull up my hoodie and turn my music up louder. I hope nobody sits next to me, I'm not in the mood for small talk, or any talk for that matter. I still don't talk. I feel someone sit down next to me then a small tap on my shoulder. I make no move to acknowledge the person, I don't even flinch when my shoulder is tapped again. I thought this person was going to be persistent but they're not, I get left alone for the rest of the bus ride.

The bus grinds to a halt and it's time to get off and go to hell, school. I head straight for my locker and dump my bag in it, I slam it shut and wander off in the direction of homeroom. "Morning Alex," my teacher greets me, I nod at her in response and she gives me a smile, "my break was great," she starts talking, knowing I won't reply, "I saw my kids and grandkids, it was so lovely." Eventually she shuffles away to do something else. Mrs Green is my favourite teacher by far. I pull my hoodie back on and slump down on the desk.

After a while, there is a small tap on my shoulder. I sit up and look at the person. It's a boy, obviously he's around my age because he's in my homeroom. He has dark brown hair with blonde in it. His eyes are a very dark caramel colour. He's wearing a fall out boy t-shirt and dark jeans. "Hey, I'm Jack. My friend moved away during summer so now I have no one to talk to or sit next to." He holds his hand out to shake. My hand twitches as I take his hand. He raises an eyebrow at me when I don't answer and look away.

That's when Mrs Green comes back, "Jack, this is Alex. He doesn't talk." And she walks off again.

"Alex huh. So you can't talk?" he questions. I shake my head and pick up his pen and motion to his hand. He frowns but puts his hand in front of me. I write two words. 'Can' and 'Doesn't'. He frowns slightly again. "So you can talk but choose not to?" I nod. He thinks for a few minutes, his finger lightly tapping his chin. "I have music next, it's my favourite subject. I want to be in a band." He states staring into space. I tap his shoulder and he looks at me. I tap my chest saying me, then I hold up two fingers. Me too. "We need to get you a note book." Jack grins.

********************

VOTE

COMMENT

FOLLOW

Dakota_Shy :3