Chapter 9

World's Most Elusive Spy

Seulgi looked at Jennie a little pissed and still a bit groggy for waking her up at seven in the morning.

On a Sunday.

It was day sixteen in alternate world-verse.

And Seulgi was getting impatient for wanting to go home and for wanting to meet the Irene of this world.

"You can be pissed all you want but I really need your help here," Jennie started to say as she paced back and forth in the living room of 'Casa la Kang' while Seulgi slouched, all grouchy and everything, and wrapped around with a blanket as she sat in her couch.

"Explain to me again how I can help you with locating Wendy."

"Again, I don't know where she is."

"So what possessed you to invite yourself into my place and drag me from my bedroom at seven in the morning from the fact that you can't find Wendy? If you can't find her, why do you think I can?"

"I don't know, I needed help from someone reliable."

"You must be desperate Kim if you think I'm reliable for the job. Where's your wife?"

"She's been stuck in her lab for days trying to help a certain S.K. phone home."

"Joyri? Jisoo? Michaeng?"

"Yeri is still... err... making up for lost time with Joy. Jisoo hopped on the next plane headed to her hometown to do exactly what you're doing, or at least planning to do, you know? Win the heart of the girl she truly loves and pray it's not too late. And seriously, 'Michaeng'? Chaeyoung lives in San Francisco, she was only in town for some business thing and squeezed us in, and Mina is with Irene today."

"I wish I were with Baechu today," Seulgi mumbled.

It was the truth.

Plain and obvious too.

"Well you can't and I need your help," Jennie stressed out. "I was trying to contact you yesterday, where were you?"

"I didn't know I had a private plane until yesterday, why did you never tell me that before?" Was what Seulgi chose to give as an answer.

"Why on earth is this relevant, Kang?"

"I went to Atlanta for the day and got back early morning. Literally only had three hours of sleep before you woke me up."

"What were you doing in Atlanta?"

"I went to see my dad," Seulgi said simply and Jennie understood.

She understood everything that needed to be said from there.

Like how Irene would understand her with just one look.

Or how the Jennie of her world would understand Irene with just one look too.

Good grief, Jennie Kim was truly her best friend!

After a few minutes of the silence that followed as the Gucci lover went to the kitchen to fetch Seulgi some coffee, the former idol nudged the Blackpink's main rapper who was now sitting next to her looking deep in thought. "So how do we find Wendy?"

"I have no clue. My own contacts said she's doing some 'jobs' for the government at the moment but that things should wrap up soon and she'll be back."

"Okay, first of all, define 'soon'. Second, where will she be back to?"

"I asked the same thing about 'soon' and got the vaguest answer. She lives in DC last time I checked, but you never know with Wendy."

"So how on earth am I supposed to help you out with that information? Even in the world where I was a Red Velvet member, I had no idea where she kept disappearing to."

"Wendy always shows up whenever a friend is in need of her help," Jennie started.

"Again, not a friend of her in this world. You know this." Seulgi pointed out exasperatedly.

"I was talking about me genius. I need your help to send the message that I need Wendy here."

"Won't we be messing up whatever she's doing for the government?"

"Wendy is the definition of pure awesomeness when it comes to... whatever it is that she does... she usually wrap things up faster, a little less perfect but perfect enough, and shows up with no problem at all."

"So where do I come in?"

"You're famous and connected. I don't know, maybe slip something about your best friend Jennie needing help with some serious matter whenever you chat with some of your famous and influential friends and she'll probably hear about it."

"Sounds easy enough," Seulgi said as she agreed.

A good three days later, a few run-ins with famous people, and Seulgi finds herself standing on the terrace of her suite with a mean looking woman in a ninja get-up stepping from the shadows.

Seulgi was sure she would be assassinated or something for a good minute or two before the woman revealed herself to be Wendy.

To say that Seulgi almost had a heart attack would have been an understatement.

She was trying to say something the former idol couldn't quite get - some things never change - and instantly called Jennie.

The brunette didn't answer but thankfully she was already on her way to see Seulgi for a late night dinner mixed with planning for the next day.

Which was apparently a big day for some new experiments with Lisa.

But Seulgi wouldn't know about that until tomorrow.

Wendy instantly warmed up to Seulgi as soon as Jennie arrived and explained the situation to her.

The situation being Irene getting married.

And Seulgi being in love with her.

Wendy was at first a little unsure on whether she would vote for Seulgi to win Irene's heart but she was somehow convinced by the tale of two children who made such an innocent promise when they were younger to find their way back to each other and marry each other someday.

After all, as Jennie pointed out, it was one faultless way to simply tell someone you loved them.

Oh how everything was simple when we were young.

So Seulgi thought.

She made a promise that she would love and cherish Irene for the rest of her life when she was like what, five or six?

And for some strange reason she seems to be holding on to that.

Seulgi couldn't understand why or how, but she knew that that was the truth.

Like it was almost her most basic instinct even as a child to love the visual goddess.

The night somewhat ended peacefully, Seulgi making her way back to her room and looking at the picture in the frame.

She closed her eyes, only to wish to wake up in the arms of her own brown eyed girl.

Only she didn't.

But something did happen.

A dream of sorts.

About two children who met in a playground somewhere in some town in Korea.