05.

Edited as of 08/10/22 || Sages POV ; Published 09/16/18

If there's one thing I've learned in life it's that you can't take shit from anyone, especially your older brother.

When I woke up this morning and I came face to face with the mirror I screamed. Sam sneaked his way in my bedroom last night and wrote shitface on my forehead. It took about 15 minutes of my precious time to get it off. When I finished getting that crap off you bet my ass went and gave him a piece of my mind.

But let's think of more happy things like my date tomorrow after the first day of school! Yeah that's right this girl got asked out by none other than the famous not so famous Kyle Hartman. Ever since that night he texted me we've been texting practically nonstop. Instead of driving to school tomorrow like I normally would on my first day back I planned on catching a ride with my brother since Kyle is going to drop me off at home after our first date. Eeeekkkk!! I'm so excited!

ღღღღღღღღღღ

As i'm laying down on the couch in the den watching television I feel the cushion next to me sink down. Looking to my right I see my dad. "Oh hey dad, what's up?"

"Sage I think we need to have a talk about your mother." Oh no. I know exactly where this was leading to. Or I thought I did.

"What do we need to talk about?" This conversation just started and it was already making me super nervous.

"Honey, your mother and I are getting divorced."

Divorced? Please tell me I'm hearing things. "Sweetheart I know that it sounds bad, but it's for the best. You and Sam mean everything to me. I just want to make you guys happy."

"Does Sam know?" To say i'm shocked would be an understatement. Before I can say anything else tears start to form in my eyes. I mean what's going to happen? Where am I going to live? I have so many unanswered questions.

"Yes. Sam has known for a while now. I know your mother is sick and it adds a lot of stress but this is what she wanted. Your mom plans on leaving to California next month. It's up to you if you want to go with her. Sam has already chose to stay here."

Wow. Just wow. If you would've asked me about my parents relationship yesterday I would've smiled and told you they were happily in love. Now I don't even know what to think.

"Dad I honestly don't know what to say. I thought you and mom were happy."

"I never wanted it to come to this, but your mother and  I stopped loving each other a long time ago. Yes I know that your mother is sick and it only makes things worse, but this is what it has come down to. I just need you and Sam to be strong together."

"I'll try my best to stay strong dad." As I'm wiping my tears two figures walk into the room. Kyle and Grady.

"Hey dad, what's going on in here?" Sam asks with a hint of concern in his voice.

"I just told your sister about the divorce." My dad says as he stands up. He gives me a short hug, pats my back, and then leaves the room.

Why can't life be fair? This wasn't supposed to happen to me. We were all supposed to be one big happy family.

"Life isn't always fair shortcake."

Turning around I come face to face with Grady. The guy I've barley exchanged words with since I was 8. "Yeah tell me about it."