chapter 3

june 20th, Newark

i grabbed my headphones out of my bag, and plugged them into my phone. listening to music made the walk easier and more fun i guess. also, the sound of city traffic kept growing as rush hour flourished. the sun still beemed in my eyes, and i wish that i had brought some sunglasses. eh, i guess i can just put up with it. maybe i can get a little bit of a tan.

the oil on my face was probably the worst feeling in the world. my skin felt absolutely horrible and gross. i desperatley wanted to hop in a cold shower. maybe i'll feel better after i get to my Papas, i hoped.

"hey, wait up!" i heard someone yell through my music. i ignored it and continued to walk. i dont know anyone that lives around here. it wasnt until i felt a relatively familiar shaking on my shoulder that i turned around and pulled out an earbud.

Pete with his cute smile was standing there with his arms swaying by his side. i stopped and was kinda surprised. "whatre you doing here? i thought you had to get off at Staten Island?" i said as i pulled out my other earbud and put them into my bag.

"well, i heard your stomach growling on the train and thought you could use something to eat." he said, and a blush came across my face. he came back for me, i thought. "you know any good places around here? i havent been to Newark in a really long time." he asked.

i shrugged. i dont usually eat around here either. "lets just walk until we find someplace. i mean, unless you had somewhere specific in mind." i said back.

he shook his head, making his hair fluff around even more. he ran his hands through it afterwards, trying to make it look presentable. he laughed a little afterward, making me laugh too.

i started walking and he followed right next to me on my left. he was so tall that he had to take about half the amount of steps i did. since he was walking on my left, he was able to shield me from the sun and it felt really nice.

after awhile of awkward silence walking, we got to this little healthy diner place. it was really vintage & cute. when we walked in the feeling of air conditioning made me sigh out in comfort. red and white tiles were on the floor and neon signs were around on the walls. the waitress's also were wearing 70s outfits and it was really cool.

"this place is really cool. have you ever been here?" he said as the brunette high heeled waitress brought us to a booth, handed us menus, and then walked away. i shook my head as i flipped through. i was so hungry i could eat just about anything.

after looking at the menu i started getting caught up in my thoughts. what the hell am i even doing here? who even is this kid? what if he's a murderer? is he taking me on a date? what is this?
i sighed. i need to stop worrying all the time.

i looked at him through the corner of my eye and he was just reading the menu. he had these smile lines on his face, probably cause he laughed so hard all the time. his eyes were the same color as his hair, and they swiftly read across the page.

the waitress came back over, and we had to make a decision quick. i ordered a cherry coke with waffles. he ordered a a regular coke with a plain burger and french fries. as soon as she left, the table was back to silence and i looked out the window. this is awkward, i thought.

he cleared his throat, trying to make it less awkward. "so what are you doing here in Newark? do you live around here?" he asked. he played with his hands on the table.

i shook my head. "no, i actually live in the city. i just came here to visit my Papa quick." i said, and immediately wished i had called my Papa on the phone or something. im not sure if he was even expecting me tonight though.