chapter 12

july 1st

Pete had picked me up from work a little early and we quickly walked down into the subway station. now we're just waiting for a train. the usual crowd of pedestrians was patiently hanging out in the subway for their trains. the mugginess of the station made me want to gag, but that was nothing unusual.

"are you excited to have dinner?" i asked him in a loud voice so he would hear me over the sound of the subway. he stopped scrolling through his instagram feed to look up at me for a second. his posture was slouched as he leaned up against a wall.

"yeah. i havent sat down to a family dinner in a while. my mom never fucking cooks." he said while giving me a weak smile. i simply nodded in response, not knowing what to say. he shrugged his shoulders and looked back down at his phone.

"my Papa doesn't cook either. usually i just pick mcdonalds up on the way to his house. him and his dog Wendy love it so much." i said with a chuckle, trying to lighten the mood. Pete smiled back at me as we continued to wait for the train.

the subway started to crowd up with more people as the trains seemed to take longer than usual. maybe they were just delayed because of technical problems or something. hopefully nothing bad happened and they would show up soon.

suddenly, i felt a hand grab onto my shoulder. my breath hitched up into my throat as i turned to look and see Shawn standing next to me. he showed off his white teeth with a smile as his soft brown eyes looked directly into mine. "hey Emmy!" he sort of yelled over the subway commotion as he pulled me in for a hug.

he smoothly wrapped his strong arms around my torso and softly leaned into me. his figure had always fit perfectly into mine, and i could tell that it hasn't changed at all. he made me feel comfortable but uncomfortable at the same time. we pulled away from each other, but Shawn had kept a hand up against my waist.

his familiar touch reminded me of the other night at the party. quick embarrassment came over me as i replayed the events in my head. i could feel my cheeks flush red but i tried to shrug it off. i looked up at Pete, who had been watching us the whole time. Shawn's arm quickly dropped off of my waist as he realized i was here with another guy.

"Pete meet Shawn, my old friend." I said trying to introduce him. Pete slid his phone into his back pocket and gave Shawn a smile that you could tell was fake. obviously he really couldn't give less of a fuck. Shawn didn't seem to take any offense and turned to talk specifically to me.

"how have you been doing? what're you up to?" he asked. i shrugged my shoulders and leaned up against the wall next to Pete. i could feel Pete reach for my hand and i invitingly intertwined our fingers. out of the corner of my eye i noticed him going back on his phone.

"oh we're just going to see my Papa to have some dinner. what about you?" i asked. i shrugged off my nervousness and tried to make the moment less awkward by keeping the conversation going. but you could cut the tension with a knife.

"nothing really. just got off work and now i'm heading home." he said over the sound of subway commotion. people continued to pile up and wait for the trains that seemed as if they were never going to show up. "do you know what's up with the crowd?" he asked.

i shook my head. "no. we've been waiting here for at least fifteen minutes. im kinda getting nervous." i said telling the truth. my nerves tensed up with fright as i thought about something bad happening. tons of things can go wrong on the subway.

Shawn shrugged it off and told me not to worry, "ehhhh im sure its nothing" he assured. i gave him a nod, hoping he was right. his hand reached up and started running through his light brown hair, trying to fix it. i remember it being one of his habits.