chapter 8

june 28th manhattan

the rest of the work day went by relatively quickly. having something to look forward to made the time pass.

i smoothly took the order of my last customer and immediately went back into the ladies room at 5 to clock out for the day. Dee wasn't far behind me. she started talking as soon as we were alone together.

"holy fuck Emmeline, Pete is so fucking cute." she said. a smile went on my lips as i started thinking about him again.

she started changing her clothes as i stood around and hung out. i didnt have time to bring anything to change into since i had such a rushed morning. i grabbed my bag and looked through for some makeup to put on - but i couldnt find anything. i just sat on the small ugly wooden bench that was provided in the room.

"i know, and he's so funny too." i said back to her. she had finished changing and now she was touching up her makeup and fixing the black curls of her hair.

"when you first told me about him i thought you were making him up to be honest." she let out a little laugh as i rolled my eyes. she knew i didnt have very many friends and that i was self concious about it.

"oh shut up." i said back to her. she continued to giggle as she finished up and shut her tiny work locker. i grabbed my bag and we both headed out back into the cafe.

both of us sat down together at a small table for two since Pete wasn't here yet. Dee was nice and waited with me. she scrolled through her phone that was flooded with texts from Jack. the customers started to pick up as people were leaving work and stopping by.

"so are you ever gonna tell me what happened at the party?" she said. i let out a sigh as i thought about it. i really didnt want to have negative thoughts in my mind right now but whatever.

"well..." i started out. "you know that Shawn was there and, well, him and i got along really good together that night." i said. i started remembering the thoughts i had that night, and how fucking hot Shawn looked in that bed. i bit my lip, not wanting to say what happened.

"whats that supposed to mean?" she asked as she raised her eyebrows. i closed my eyes as embarrasment started to swallow me. i didnt want to say that i almost hooked up with my ex.

"him and i talked outside by the fire for what seemed like hours. it was actually really nice to hear from him." a little smile came on my face as i remembered our chat. "and then i dont how it happened but we ended up making out. we took it into the bedroom but i stopped it before anything serious could happen..." i told her.

her jaw dropped as i told the story. she knows everything that i've been through with Shawn, and how i hated him for so long after we broke up. my face got a little red as i realized how stupid i sound for making out with my ex. i was such an idiot.

"Emmeline! damn i didnt see that coming. im sorry that it happened. i wouldnt have made you go if —." she started to say but i cut her off.

"Dee it's not your fault at all. and im not even sure that it was a bad thing so dont even feel bad. i really had a good time at the party." i said back. she rolled her eyes and let out a sarcastic gasp.

Pete caught the corner of my eye as i saw him walking down the street through the window. he was still wearing the same oversized yellow tee from earlier today. he was casually scrolling through his phone.

Dee saw him too and she looked back at me and gave me a little wink. i giggled at her. "hey have fun tonight. text me and tell me how it goes." she said. both of us stood up and pushed in our chairs.