chapter 7

june 28th manhattan

i casually roll over in my bed, subconsiously ignoring the beeping of my phone alarm going off. the sunlight shining in my eyes finally woke me up. i groaned as i quickly tapped on my phone to check the time and shut off the alarm :

8:55

"fuck!" i yelled as i jumped out of bed and ran into the bathroom quick to get ready. my shift started in five fucking minutes. theres no way i could make it.

i quickly brushed my teeth and brushed the tangles out of my hair. it was looking a bit greasy but i couldnt afford to spend time putting in dry shampoo right now. i sprinted back into my room and changed into my work uniform.

putting on makeup would take too much time, so i blew it off. im okay with looking like a potato for today. i slipped on my white pair of flats and grabbed my bag quick as i ran out the apartment door. i headed over to the staircase and darted down the three floors to the main lobby. the hot weather outside didnt even phase me because i was so focused on getting to work.

i grabbed my hair and yanked it into a loose ponytail with my scrunchie. it was really rough because its hard to put your hair up while running down the sidewalk. i almost tripped and fell several times because my stupid white flats are falling apart. i look down at my cheap watch :

9:06

my boss is going to get so pissed. if im really late today i can get fired. it just depends on what type of mood he's in today and how he feels about me. i've already been late so many times that he's probably losing his patience for me. ugh this really is not good for me. ive only been awake for ten minutes and im about to have the first mental breakdown of the day.

i reach into the back pocket of my jeans to grab my phone but of fucking course. i left my phone at the apartment. i almost burst out into tears right then and there. but i kept strong and knew that work was my top priority right now. i sigh extremely loud and the person walking next to me on the sidewalk gave me a dirty look. i rolled my eyes and kept doging through the swarms of people to get to starbucks.

~

after running through the streets i finally got to starbucks and swung the door open. i look at the clock on the wall :

9:15

ok i'm not nearly as late as i could be. its not too bad. i literally woke up just twenty mins ago. woo go me im actually proud of myself for getting ready so fast.

i quickly sly over behind the counter and grab my green apron. Dee was whipping together an iced drink as she looked over and gave me a 'yikes' look. she probably noticed i was having a bad day by the trashiness of my apparel and by my lateness.

i shuffled over to the register and started taking orders. i wrote down peoples names and gave change but wasnt processing anything. it was like i was a robot. i sigh out loud just thinking about my lifeless routine. will it ever change?

i scan my eyes around the room looking for my fatass boss who i surprisingly havent bumped into yet. he was probably in the back or something. or hopefully he took the day off. then maybe he wouldnt notice that i was late. probably only in my dreams though.

~

after working for a few hours im exhausted but still alive somehow. theres a lull in the workday when barely any customers come in; and right now is it. Dee finishes up shaking a green lemon iced tea and then walks over to me.

"what happened to you this morning? holy shit you dont look good." her bluntness was assuring but kind of annoying. i was probably just overall annoyed from the type of morning i was having.