chapter 11

july 1st

the sound of rain pinging on the windowsill caused my eyes to slowly open up from a light sleep. my eyes immediately focused on the grey sky outside, and the sun was nowhere in sight. only a dim sense of light was peeking in through behind the dense clouds.

i felt a pair of arms tighten around my waist as i shuffled around in the bed. i turned my head to look at Pete, and his eyes were peacefully shut. he must have taken off his shirt and his shorts throughout the night because his skin was bare. his dark hair was messy with bed head, and his mouth was open a tiny bit.

a small smile appeared on my lips as i thought about how happy i was at the moment. all snug and cuddled up next to a boy who i had just met last week but have managed to develop deep feelings for. i could feel my heart beating in my chest and realized that these were the tinest moments that life was worth living for. i leaned into him and placed the small kiss on his soft cheek before unraveling myself from his arms and sitting up on the bed.

i grabbed my phone off of the nightstand as i headed into the bathroom to start getting ready for the day. i scrolled through my notifications before turning on some music to lighten up the mood while starting my morning. i made sure the volume was soft enough so that Pete wouldnt get bothered by it. sometimes i quietly sang and hummed along out of boredom.

sighs escaped my lips as my mind started to think about heading into work today. i really just want to hang out with Pete all day instead, but im afraid that i'll get fired if i blow off another shift. i'm so exhausted from work taking up so much of my time and taking away from my life. it really sucks ass. why cant i just enjoy my summer peacefully without having to worry about stupid things like going to work?

i decided to text Dee and ask for her opinion.

Me : do you think it'd be a big deal if i skipped work today?

it didn't take long for her to reply, since she was probably getting ready too.

Dee : yikes im not sure. boss really doesnt like you. why is everything okay?

Me : yeah its just that Pete slept the night and i kinda just want to hang out with him today.

Dee : oooooooo :)))

Dee : sounds exciting but im not sure if i'd blow off work. you're really on thin ice with the boss.

Me : ik :( i hate him so much and im so tired of work

Dee : yeah hes a dick.

Me : ugh. im probably gonna come in today then. youre right i shouldnt blow it off.

Dee : sorry girl. see you soon.

more sighs escaped my lips. my mood had just plummeted as i thought about standing behind the stupid starbucks counter for nine hours. taking annoying teenagers pinkity drinkity orders and dealing with my rude ass boss. i tried to ignore the fact about how depressing work was and looked to the positives; like seeing Dee and catching up with her as well as getting a free coffee.

it was hard to look at the positive side of things but i really needed to try to. my mind always looks towards the negatives and i continue to fall further into a depressing spiral that i can't get out of. its not my fault, its just how my brain works. i rolled my eyes and pushed away my cloudy thoughts about life.

my makeup stayed natural but i still managed to find enough self confidence to think i was pretty enough to go out. i started to finish up by adding some mascara. out of the corner of my eye i could see the door open and i looked to see Pete walk in with a tired look on his face. he still didnt have any shirt on but was in his boxers.