• one •

You had just finished moving into a new house, in a new town. All you wanted to do was sit down for at least a second and listen to some music.

So you grab your laptop, plug in your earphones, and block out all the stressful thoughts.

Moving was exhausting. Why did you move? Well, first and most importantly, your old school had no good assets whatsoever.

Everyday you would wake up already exhausted, dreading what was to come. Your grades were getting worse, mostly due to the "toxic environment", as your mom called it.

You would like to say you where glad to leave, but the prospect of moving almost terrified you.

Speaking of your mom, you hear the faint sound of yelling, dragging you out of your wondering thought.

"(Y/N), get down here!"

You sigh, slamming your computer shut and pulling out your earphones. When you said you wanted one second you didn't mean it literally. "COMING!" you yell, as loud as possible.

What could your mom possibly want now? You trudge down the hall, trying to navigate through the many cardboard boxes left on the floor to be unpacked.

You slip into the living room, and join your mom on the couch. "What's up?"
She looks up from her phone "I've just got a text from Kelly, you remember her?" Nope, you didn't.
"Uhm...yeah?" You squint in uncertainty.

"Well, she is coming over with her son, Tyler. He's going to be at your new school, we thought you two should meet so you aren't alone on your first day."

Yikes, you think, like a buddy system?

Just on cue, the doorbell rings. It kinda freaks you out at how fast they were.

Your mom hurries to the door and when she opens it you hear a woman's voice greet her enthusiastically - like parents do.

Footsteps come down the hall, and it suddenly dawns on you that you are going to meet a new person.  Scary.

They come into the living room, and you are greeted by a middle aged woman with kind eyes, stood next to a boy around your age; which you assume is Tyler.

He seems timid, and he looks at you with a nervous demeanor, but there is a sort of fire behind his eyes. He has fluffy brown hair peaking out underneath a black beanie, and a bright yellow hoodie. Bright yellow. It is an interesting color to wear, but honestly you kind of like it, it makes everything seem a little happier.
You wave awkwardly at both of them.

"(Y/N)! I haven't seen you since you where like...this small!" The woman exclaims and gestures down to knee height. How cliche.

"This is my boy, Tyler!" Tyler waves politely, in return you give a little nod. "It's crazy you how guys haven't met yet, since I've known your mom so long." Ohh, you think, now remembering.

Kelly would come over and have four hour conversations with your mom every so often. They had that kind of friendship only adults had, were they would barely talk for months.

"It's good now we only live down from the street from each other" You realise that's probably how they got to your house so damn quick. "Now we'll be able to get coffee a lot more!" Your mom says, chuckling.

You meet eyes with Tyler and share a look of slight desperation at your mothers seemingly endless small talk, which makes you laugh. He smiles, furrowing his eyebrows.

"Are you excited to start school? It must be crazy moving into a new town." You want to tell her how you were absolutely kinda really terrified. But you thought that would be bad idea. "I uh, I guess ...yeah." You try to sound as enthusiastic as her, ultimately failing.

Your mom drops some change into your hand. "Do you want to go with Tyler and get some ice cream at the park, while me and Kelly catch up?"

Going to the park with a boy you had just met?

Maybe ice cream could compensate.

You flash a smile at Tyler, who shrugs, still grinning. "Okay, I'll be right back I'm just gonna go get changed" you say, before rushing upstairs.

You were not going outside in sweatpants.  The happy brightness of Tyler's hoodie inspired you. Shoveling through your clothing you realize most of your stuff is pretty boring, especially after clearing out your closet. You just chuck on your favorite tee and some jeans and rush back downstairs.

"That was quick." He speaks for the first time. His voice is soft, but some how also rough.
He smirks.

"I guess I'm just excited for ice cream"

• • •

Once you got to the park you had asked all the questions you would when meeting a new person. Like what their favourite colour was, (Tyler's was red, "for now") and what ice cream was your favourite - inevitably what you were gonna get. Tyler seems a little less nervous.

Maybe he's like you, not really good at new people. You always thought it was because you didn't even like anyone, but really right now and more than ever, all you needed was friends. You missed having people to go to the park with. One of the reasons why you moved is because of your old friends, if you could even call them that.

"We're here!" he grandly gestures to the park, which has some swings, a slide, benches, climbing frames - the usual. "Wanna race to the swings?" You suggest, trying to avoid the awkwardness.

He gives you an adorable toothy grin, and speeds off. "Hey! I never said go!" You run to catch up with him, which isn't easy, he is pretty fast.

Clambering over to the swings you fling yourself onto one. You catch your breath and yell in triumph to see Tyler recovering from a trip just a sprint away.

"No fair! Some one left a tree in my way!" He whines like a little girl. You laugh, pulling yourself up onto the swing properly. 

He collapses on one next to you, about to ask a question you knew he'd been contemplating. "So... why did you move?" Should you tell him that you where getting tormented everyday? You decided you trusted him, it was something about those fiery brown eyes.

"I was kinda getting bullied, but don't worry it wasn't that bad" it really wasn't. He audibly sighs, "That sucks, I know how it feels. Some people just aren't as nice.. so they pick on the people who are"
You decide you liked Tyler.

Maybe it wouldn't be that bad, this whole thing. You smiled sadly. You both knew you didn't need to say anything, you'd both had the same experience. It made things a little easier.

"So.. ice cream?"
"HECK YEAH!"

* • * • *• *

Well done! You made it through the first chapter. Did you enjoy it? Also, don't worry. This is definitely still a Josh x reader, he'll be in the next chapter, which is coming very soon :D

stay street 💖