Chapter 3

Practice has been horrible. Coach has been like a drill sergeant. And it's worse without Adam. He was our best player and was already calm.

Well we have our first game against the Blake bears. We are all in the locker room getting ready.

"Kenny you ready to play?" Connie asks.

"Hell ya!" We high five and exit the locker room.

Eventually all the team is out on the ice warming up. When warmups over we all go the bench.

Charlie starts out saying and we all get into it.

"Quack quack quack!"

"Hey hey what the hell is that? Stop it." Coach Orion yells at us.

"On three. Go team. 1, 2, 3."

"Go team." We lousily say.

Charlie, Ken, Dwayne, Connie, Julie, and I are the starters. I take the face off. Th ref drops the puck on the ice and I knock the other teams player down. I grab the puck and start towards our goal.

I dodge some players and shot the puck. I scored!

I look up to where Adam is sitting with the Varsity. He's standing up clapping and cheering.

Then he gets pulled down by the other Varsity members. I wave and stare at him before I turn around and skate towards the other players who are on the ice. They high five me.

"Stop that. Act like you've scored before!" Coach yells at us.

We continue on with game and Connie, Guy, Charlie, Averman, and Fulton have scored. I scored twice and so did Charlie.

At the end of the second period we are leading 9-0.

Averman takes the face off and he gets knocked down. Classic.

The bears get the puck and are skating towards Julie. The fake one way and Julie falls for it. They end up scoring.

"It's alright it's only one goal." Charlie says.

We lose the puck again and again and soon it's 9-7.

Once they scored that 7th score Charlie completely lost it. He whacked his stick against the goal post.

"Unsportsmanship like conduct. 2 minutes in the box number 96." The ref announces.

"What? Unsportsmanship like conduct? I'll show you Unsportsmanship like conduct." Charlie says throwing his helmet against the wall of the box.

Charlie calm the hell down!!! We don't need this right now.

"Kendra take his place." Coach instructs me.

I nod and hop out onto the ice. I knock some players down and try to get the puck but they end up scoring. 9-8.

Now Charlie is out of the box and skating hard and we only have 20 seconds left. He has the puck.

"Pass it Charlie!" Averman yells.

"Clear it!" Coach yells.

"We don't need another point!" I yell.

"We already won!" Guy yells.

Does Charlie listen to us? No of course not why would he.

He is closing in on the open net since the Bears pulled their goalie. He starts to shot when he gets knocked down.

"No Charlie!" Coach yells.

"No!" We yell.

We watch the puck slide towards the goal and it stops right in front of the red line.

Charlie slams the ice with his fist before he gets up. Our team is trying to get the puck but the Bears score and the time runs out. 9-9.

Damn.

We enter the locker room.

"The guy hooked me alright." Charlie says mad.

"We didn't need the goal Charlie." Russ says.

"Hey! I was trying to win it!" Charlie shouts. He throws his gear at his locker.

"Well mission unaccomplished Charlie!" Averman says.

"We let down it's as simple as that." Guy says.

"You let down I played hard." Connie says.

Coach storms into the locker room looking absolutely pissed.

"How long does it take to score a goal? How long? Less than a second." He throws a puck at the wall where the paper that held our positions was.

"Practice at 5 a.m." He stormed out of the locker room.

Charlie throws the rest of his gear at the lockers.

"Hey where's my clothes?" Guy asks.

"Yea mines gone too." I say.

We all stand their silently when I hear water rushing.

I run to the showers and open the curtain to see our clothes in a pile with a shower on soaking them. Everyone follows me.

I point to the wall which reads Freshman stink!

"They put our clothes.." Goldberg starts.

"Answers your question doesn't it?" Averman says.

"Great." I mumble.

"Are we suppose to wear wet clothes?" Julie asks.

"Those jerks." Charlie says.

"Charlie calm down." I start before he goes to interrupt me. I wave my hand to silence him. "Let me finish. Calm down. We'll get them back."

He smirks at me and everyone nods in agreement. We grab our clothes and start to dry them off as best we could but they are still wet.

We head back to our dorms. I obviously share with Julie and Connie.

"I can't believe those jerks soaked our clothes!" Julie says changing her clothes.

"Do you think Adam knew what they were planning or helped?" I ask.

"Why do you care? He is one of them now." Connie says.

I just shrug and start to change my clothes. I still don't believe Adam would be apart of it. He is still our friend. Right?