Chapter 13

We were at the board meeting and the Varsity was on one side of the room glaring at us while us ducks were on the other side returning their glare. Even Adam was with us since his scholarship was on the line.

"Do I have a motion for reconsideration?" The Dean asked. We all stood there silently as no one raised their hand.

"I'm sorry Coach. Unless there is a motion and a second the decision must stand." He sounded sad. Like he didn't want us to leave.

"That leaves us no choice, to call in our attorney."

Coach looked toward the door and we all followed his gaze. The doors opened and in walked Gordon Bombay.

"Dean Buckley, members of the board. As counsel for coach Orion and the freshman hockey team, I'm here today to set forth your legal options, so that you may make the best possible decision for all parties concerned."

"Gordon, this isn't a legal proceeding." Dean argued.

"Not yet but I can assure you it will be. Do you mind?" Bombay hands his briefcase to Dean Buckley.

"These scholarships, an offer, became a binding contract upon the signature of the recipients, and acceptance of the ducks. They cannot be voided except for cause, which I can guarantee you, you have none. Should you decide to purse their cancellation; I will slap you with an injunction. I will tie this matter up in court for years, until long after there kids have gone onto college. And I will win. Because I am very, very good. I had a good education. You gave it to me. And now you are gonna give it to these kids."

"He is good." Coach Orion whispers to Charlie who is standing next to me.

"He is just getting started."

"Now some of you may be so bush enough to believe that these ducks don't belong at Eden Hall." The Varsity smirks at us and Gordon continues. "Let me tel you, you are dead wrong. These are remarkable young people. You give them your full shot and I promise you they will succeed. Not just on the ice but in the classrooms as well. These people are my friends and I know what they can do. Accordingly, I demand that you reinstate their scholarships for their benefits and your own." Bombay finished.

He looked us all in the eye and smiled. It was great that he was here for us even though he isn't our coach anymore.

"I move that the scholarships be reinstated." A lady said raising her hand after the board discussed quietly.

"Is there a second?" Dean Buckley asked almost with giddy.

A man raised his hand. "All in favor?" Now every member raised their hand.

That sent us into cheers. We all hooted and clapped, hugging each other. W ahead out the door saying our farewells to Bombay who said he had work in Chicago.

"Congratulations is destroying our school." Reilly said stopping us outside he door.

"He look its our school too."

"It's everyone's school you stupid jock." This random brunette girl said. She was standing by Charlie. They must be a thing.

"No it will never be your school. Don't you get it? You're our little affirmative action brought in for color to entertain us. But you can't even do that. Your fancy lawyer kept you in on a technicality. But you'll never belong."

"You'll never be anything more than a bunch of rejects on a free ride." Cole pushed.

"Free ride? Look at you rich boy. Mommy and daddy gave you everything huh?" Russ fussed.

"Bye J.V.- Varsity game is on Friday. Then we'll show the whole school what a joke you really are. Then maybe you'll leave on your own. It'd be the only honorable thing to do."

"You know we're gonna hurt you." Cole threatened.

"Listen you had an unfair advantage last time. You had kneed us, Banksie." Charlie nods back to Adam who is standing behind Charlie. Adam smirks at Reilly.

"You can keep him. He doesn't have the heart of a warrior anyway."

"Obviously, why would he? He's a duck not a jerk." I interject.

"Oh look who it is. Little miss princess who can't even take a check to the boards." Case said from behind Reilly.

I leap to him but am held back by Adam. "Leave her alone."

"Why she can't hurt me she's too injured. Even though she can't anyone when she's in full shape."

"Oh you'll see. I'm playing on Friday and I'm taking you all down. You're gonna wish you were never born."

They just laugh and I glare at them as they start to walk away.

"Hey biff. One more thing, when we win the warriors die and the ducks fly." Russ said.

"Whatever." They mumbles walking away.

"Way to go Russ. Make them more mad."

"Are you seriously playing on Friday Kenny?"

"Yes I am. And no one can stop me." I said before they tried to protest.

"Alright. Kenny!"

"Woohoo!"

We all decided to head home or to the dorms for a while. We are all going to go to Mickeys diner at 5.

I was talking with Adam when Charlie came up to us.

"Um can I talk to you Adam?" Charlie asked.

Adam looked at me and I nodded. "I'll see ya at the diner. See you at home Charlie." I walked away and back to my home.