Chapter 12

"Gaffney."
"Germaine."
"Mendoza."
"Conway."

Coach was taking attendance as we walked onto the bus for our hockey game. I was the last one to walk on and was standing in the alleys waiting for the rest of my team to get seated.

"Conway?" Coach questioned. I turned around only to be found he wasn't talking about me.

"I wanna be on the team Coach. I want to play two way hockey. Can I come back?"

"Take a seat. We're running late."

Charlie smiles at Coach and takes a seat next to Russ who mocks him.

"Oh good I almost missed you." The dean announced walking on the bus. "I need a word."

"Make it quick Dean. We're running late as it is."

"We have a board meeting scheduled tomorrow and you all are on the agenda. We have to think long term here, what's in your best interest. Hard as it is for me personally because you kids have been a breath of fresh air around here. The board is going to approve the withdrawal of your scholarships. Now you'll be welcome to stay till the end of the semester but after that it will be necessary for you too enjoy other educational opportunities."

"Dean can I have a word with you." Coach says standing up.

"I think I've said all I need to say."

"No now."

Coach and the Dean get off the bus and start talking. We all sit still taking it all in.

"Russ? What does he mean?" Dwayne asks.

"I'll put it words you can understand. Adios amigos." Russ explained sadly.

We all let it slide that he said it in Spanish because it looked like Dwayne got the point.

Are they really kicking us out? Seriously? This ain't right. We deserve to be here just as much as those snotty rich kids do. Even more than they do.

Miserably we all walk of the bus and stand by the side of it. Coach looks like he is having a
very heated conversation with the Dean.

"It's either they stay or I go." Coach argued.

"We'll miss you." The dean said patting him on the shoulder before he walks away.

We walk up to Coach Orion.

"Coach, Isn't this illegal? Don't we have contracts?" Goldberg asked.

"I don't know what it is." He answered sounding dejected. "But we're going to fight it."

"Yea!" We all shout.

~~~~
"Kenny, Charlie I'm home!" My mom yelled from the front doorway.

"Hi." I said as she walked into the living room. She plopped down on the coach and leaned her head back and sighed.

"How was work?"

"Tiring but it was good. No accidents today."

"That's good. How about I get you some food?" I offered standing up from my schoolwork.

My mom always works so hard. She's a single mother since she left my dad when Charlie and I were little. I don't remember him that well and I don't want to.

I go to the kitchen and warm up some left over lasagna and pour her a class of milk. I bring it to her and she thanks me.

To give her some price and quiet I gather my school stuff and bring it to my room to work on. I decide not to tell her about the revoking of the scholarships tonight.

Maybe I won't need to tell her about it. Hopefully we get get them unrevoked. Is that a word? Well what I mean is for them to not be revoked. I apparently need to work on English and not math.

"Hey Kenny?" Charlie questioned as I walked by his room.

"Yes?" I stop and walk into his room.

"Can you help me with this problem?"

Since Charlie hasn't been on the team he hasn't been going to school. So, he is really behind on his schoolwork.

"Yea."

I end up doing my homework in his room so when he needs help I'm sitting right next to him and am easy to reach.

"Thanks Kenny."

"Anytime." I start heading to my room since we are done when he stops me.

"I really am sorry. I shouldn't have gone all ballistic when Adam said he loved you and you love him back. I know Adam would never hurt anyone especially you. I could he liked you a lot since last year. I guess I got jealous I don't know. I am really sorry Kenny."

I walk to him and give him a hug. "I know. You don't have to apologize anymore. I forgive you." I give him a quick kiss on the check and run out the door because I know he hates that.

"Kenny." Charlie whined. I just laugh and close my door.

It's good to have him back.