Chapter 14

It was now Friday. The day of the J.V.-Varsity game. The day that we either show varsity we're better than them and can play hockey or that we completely suck and they were right all along.

After a long day of school we all meet up in the locker room. We were putting on our pads when coach Orion walked in.

"You guys ready to play!"

"Woo!"
"Yea we are!"

"That's the spirit. Now put on those duck jerseys and let's do this!"

Coach left the locker room so we could finish getting ready. And yes duck jerseys. Coach handed hem back to us yesterday at our practice.

We walk out of the locker room and to the ice.
"This is for Hans." Charlie said sadly.

We got into one big circle and skated touching the ice with our hands.

"It appears they're paying an honor to their parted friend and mentor Hans. It's a Norwegian symbol of respect." Josh, the schools sports announcer, said.

We skated to our bench and Coach spoke. "Now, lets go hunting for gooses eggs. Hands in on three quack."

We all looked at each other in aw and giddy. The ducks are back.

"Quack quack quack..." we started happily and the audience filled in.

"Goooooo ducks!"

Adam, Charlie, Russ, Ken, and I skated onto the ice with Julie as our goalie.

Adam went to go take the face off and I went to his left side. I heard Reilly say something to Adam.

"You're gonna wish like hell you'd stuck with us."

"Save the trash talk." Adam fired back.

The ref put the puck down and the game began.  Adam got knocked down and varsity got a hold of the puck.

"Oh Varsity comes out hard." Josh spoke.

The Varsity gets closer to Julie and shots, only to be saved by Julie.

"Big save by Julie the cat. This rate it's gonna take a miracle for the ducks to hang on."

Will he shut up. It's ten seconds into the game and he is already doubting us.

Varsity gets the puck and they try to shot again but Goldberg saves it with a toe save. They try and shot but we manage to actually play real defense and not let them score.

Most of the game is like that. They try to shot and we save it, either with Julie or our awesome defense. Varsity is going brutal. Checking us into the boards, shoving us down on the ice.

We finally manage to get the puck. Charlie skates down towards scooter. He shots and it's saved. Scooter pushed the puck up towards his teammates.

It's the second period and Varsity is stronger than before.

"If you can't beat them, beat them. That looks likes Wilson's message because the varsity are nailing the ducks."

Averman gets the puck behind the net and stars heading down the ice only to be stopped by Varsity. They throw him into the boards.

"I resent that." He said sliding down the boards. I start to skate over to help him when he gets nailed again.

"Oh les Averman just got leveled he must be seeing stars."

Fulton and I head over and help bring Averman to the bench.

"Oh it's so pretty." He mumbled. "Hi coach."

"Take a seat son."

Back into the game a varsity player fakes Julie and leaves the net wide open. He shots and it starts to slide towards the net and almost goes in before Julie makes a crawling-dive save!

"Yea Julie." I shout.

Guy takes the rebound and starts to go behind our net and he takes a check to the boards.

"Come on ref call something!" Coach yelled from the bench.

"Oh no this is getting out of hand. Guy Germaine just took a vicious check into the boards. He's down and he's not getting up."

The players on the ice all crowd Guy as we players in the bench stand up. We are all very mad and worried.

Two paramedics come onto the ice and start talking to Guy. The help him up and help him skate off and into the locker room.

The audience starts to clap and Coach glares at Wilson who just says. "That's hockey!"

"Conway! Get out there."

I nod and hop into the ice ready to hurt someone. No one messes with a duck without getting revenge.

Charlie steals the puck and is all alone has he skates up the center. He shots the puck and it's beat by the buzzer.

We all head into the locker rooms a little defeated.