Goddess of the Sea

(Top is Kaimana. I decided to draw her)

••

Folk tales are told amongst tribe after tribe, carrying on tradition and story's that hold valuable morals and truth.

Te Fiti was the one who possessed the heart of life, which could create life itself. Te Fiti shared it with the world. In time, people began to seek her heart. They believed if they could possess it, great power of creation could be theirs. And only one, known as Maui was brave and tricky enough to take it.

But before all of this, was only ocean.

-

A young woman with growing grey hair stands at the edge of the water. The waves just reaching her feet before they collapse and inch up the sand, only to be pulled back in.

The woman awaits an old friend. Half of her hair rests in a bun as the rest falls just below her shoulders. The roots of her hair are gray as the rest is wavy and black. A beautiful flower sits in the bun if her hair and the petals move with the wind from the waves. She wears a red traditional top and a traditional tan skirt. She has a sacred necklace her friend had gifted her. The necklace bestows a hollow ocean painted stone that could hold a special stone. The hollow stone is accompanied by silver and white shells. On the woman's back is a large manta ray tattoo.

The ocean in front of her begins to glow and her cheeks turn up into a smile. The waves become uneven as a the water becomes in the form of a girl. The water melts off and becomes part of the rest and leaves a beautiful girl. The girl was known as Kaimana.

She has long wavy blond hair running to her lower back. Tattoos cover her right shoulder, upper back, both wrists, left half of her stomach, both thighs and ankles. She wears a blue crop top and matching blue shorts. A black necklace hangs around her neck with a small black spear dangling in the center.

The two ladies share a hearty hug before the older woman leads the young girl to a tent in their village. In there is a woman and a man.

The woman has her long black hair pulled into a traditional braid and held back with a handmade headband and flower. Around her tan neck hangs a necklace similar to the older lady. The only difference is the center piece is a silver shell. Similar shell earrings dangle above her shoulders.

The man wears a honorable crown, indicating he is chief. The crown is covered in colored shells and large red feathers. An animal tooth necklace hangs around his large neck and tattoos cover his left shoulder. Black hair covers the bottom of his chin as the rest of his hair is pushed back and out of his face.

They both look lovingly at a young child in the woman's arms. They appear to be married and this is their child.

"It is a pleasure to see you. You must be Chief Tui and Sina. Tala has told me much about you." Kaimana greets them

She does a traditional greeting and is introduced to their child, Moana.

The baby seems only to be a few months old. The child opens their big brown eyes and immediately meets eyes with the blonde. They both stare at each other before the baby begins to smile and laugh. Kaimana smiles back at the child and rubs her arm. Her eyes squint as her cheeks puff out when she smiles.

The baby stretches it's plump arms out at the young girl.

"I believe she wants you to hold her." Sina tells Kaimana.

"Me? Really?" The girl says shyly and disbelievingly

"Yes, dear." Tui says to her as he gently gives her the girl

Kaimana smiles at the baby and the baby giggles and grabs at her blonde hair. Then the baby feels Kaimana's face. She pulls her face away from the baby's tubby hands and takes a look at her. She sees all of the potential inside of her just by looking into her glassy brown eyes. Kaimana takes a gentle finger and boops her nose.

"I think it's time I get going." Kaimana politely says as she hands Moana back to her parents

"Very well. Thank you for visiting." Sina says as she places a hand on her shoulder

Kaimana smiles at her and makes her way back to the ocean. As she reaches the edge of the sea, the water parts into a path and she walks along the wet sand. The water glistens with the setting sun beaming on it. Kaimana careful walks along the sand and between the water. Creatures swim along the water barrier and greet the familiar girl. Before getting too far, she turns around and waved goodbye to Tala. The waves then crash together and consume her into the current.

Tala smiles and turns away from the ocean as the sun sets completely.

••