Chosen

Years have gone by and Kaimana has finally returned to the island of Motunui. Kaimana would watch as Moana danced with Tala at the edge of the water. They stood on a dried lava rock. She would move the water along with the way they move. Tala now has fully gray hair and Moana is now a teenage girl.

Time passes and Kaimana begins to get worried. Something has disturbing the island. Whenever she visits, less fish are there. Tala told her that it was the darkness. That it had reached their island.

One day, as Kaimana is talking to Tala she sees a boat reach the reef. She watches as a large wave crushes the ship. The boat is flipped and everything flies off the ship. She hears a call and waists no time to dive into the lagoon to help the person.

She flies through the water at an extremely fast pace. She reaches the boat and looks underwater. She spots Moana stuck at the bottom with her foot caught between some coral. Kaimana uses her ability to move the coral and Moana springs up to catch her breath.

Kaimana makes a gentle wave to push her and her boat back to shore. She follows Moana back to shore and noticed that her ankle is hurt. Kaimana can't help but think this is her fault.

Tala talks to Moana about coming back. Moana now thinks that the ocean is very dangerous and it is no place for her to be. She decides she should stay on the island. Kaimana frowns and sinks lower into the water.

Tala walks into the water and Kaimana's spirits are partially lifted. Some manta rays swim around her feet as she dances with the water. It doesn't take long for Kaimana to catch on to Tala's plan.

"It's time. Isn't it?" Kaimana asks Tala, going unnoticed by Moana

Tala nods silently to her and she can't help but get chills from excitement.

-

Kaimana patiently sits in the water. She watches as Tala talks to Moana about journeying to restore the heart of Te Fiti.

"I was there that day." Tala tells Moana. "The ocean chose you." She says

Kaimana is overwhelmed with excitement. She twirls around and the water around her lights up with fluorescent green. She forms a big wave from her happiness. Then, she decided to show herself.

A large wave forms but slowly, water drips away, leaving a figure if a teenage girl about Moana's age. The water then melts off of the figure, leaving Kaimana in her human self.

"I-I though it was a dream." Moana musters to say

"Nope!" Kaimana says as she walks onto the land with Moana and Tala. She gives Tala a hug and then walks over to Moana.

All Kaimana does is tap the tip of Moana's nose and remembrance flashes in her brown eyes. Moana smiles and gives her a hug.

"Our ancestors believed Maui lies there..." Tala explains to Moana as she points to a large star formation in the night sky. It is shaped as an upside down fish hook. "...at the bottom of his hook. Follow it, and you will find him."

"But..." Moana says and turns to Kaimana. "Why would you choose me? I don't even know how to make it past the reef. But I know who does!" Before Kaimana can explain, Moana runs off towards her village.

Just as Moana leaves sighs Tala grunts in pain.

"Tala, are you okay?" Kaimana asks

When she doesn't respond Kaimana takes action. She picks Tala up and holds her bridal style in her arms. She rushes her into the village and finds the first person she can.

"Help her. Please." Kaimana begs

They take her to the medical hut and she follows closely behind them as they lay her friend inside. Kaimana kneels beside her and does her best to try and heal her.

Not only is Kaimana a demigoddess of the ocean but she can also heal.

Kaimana tries to heal her so much that Tala's tattoos turn a fluorescent blue, as well as Kaimana's tattoos. Moana's mother rushes in and not long after, Moana and Tui. They watch as Kaimana tries her best to heal her but it's no use. She is dying from old age.

"It's okay, Kaimana." One of the nurses say as they gently pull her away from Tala. They don't want her to hurt her or herself

Moana and her family rush to her side and kneel down beside her. As Tui and his wife talk to the nurses, Tala calls over Kaimana and Moana.

They both kneel beside her.

"Go." She says weakly. "Kaimana will guide you." She coughs

"Not now. I can't." Moana cries.

"You must." She says frailly. "She chose you. Follow the fish hook. And when you find Maui, you grab him by the ear. You say, 'I am Moana if Motunui. You will board my boat, sail across the sea, and restore the heart of Te Fiti'."

Tala takes her necklace from around her neck and places it in Moana's hand. She gently placed the heart stone in the hollow shell of a rock and closes it gently.

"I- I can't leave you." Moana says, her voice cracking

"There is nowhere you could go that I won't be with you." Tala reassures

Moana smiles at her grandma one last time before standing up and running out of the hut with Kaimana by her side.

⌃⌃⌃