chapter 1

it's been 3 days.

we're moving past atlanta to try our chances in fort benning. it's a long journey, but we need to hit the road.

we can't stay here. it's too dangerous.

we drained the gas out of the truck we were in and switched over to merle's bike. and it feels so damn good to be on a bike again.

dad and i put our book bags in the car rick was in, and just kept our bows with us. it's easier that way.

dad and i led the group out. i wrapped my arms around his torso, but i kept my head up so i could be aware if everything going on around us.

carl thought that me being into motorcycles was cool. motorcycles are my childhood. being back on one after all this time feels amazing.

"damn it feels good don't it rae" dad said loudly so that i could hear him. "yeah it does" i said back smiling.

we then drove out of atlanta and started our long journey. we traveled for quite a while until we came to an interstate. one that was completely blocked off. there were cars lined up on both sides of the road. "shit" i whispered.

dad maneuvered through the cars to see if there was a clear spot we could go through. there was a small one.

"ya think they could make it?" dad asked me. "not sure" i responded.

we circled back and signaled dale to follow us. we're gonna take our chances. the pathway was tight. and as we were making our way through, the rv broke down again. i sighed, this is exactly what we need right now.

we turned off the bike and got off it. the group gathered around and dad and i started going through one of the cars.

"this could be a gold mine" i said looking through the stuff with dad. "this is a graveyard" lori said. i rolled my eyes and continued what i was doing.

we all spread out. i helped dad and t-dog drain gas from some cars. we need as much fuel as possible.

we were draining a car when i saw dale duck down on the roof of rv. i looked to the other side of me. there was an entire herd of walkers approaching us.

"dad, dad walkers" i whispered pointing. he ducked down to the ground and grabbed my arm to pull me down with him.

he gently shoved me under a car and he got beside me. i looked him in the eyes. he put an arm around me to make me feel protected. he then nodded and i nodded back. he wasn't going to let anything happen to me and i knew that.

to the side of us, a walker was getting ready to go after t-dog. and t-dog looks like he cut his arm.

"stay, i'll be right back" dad whispered to me. he climbed out and went up behind the walker. he stabbed it in the back of the head and gently layed it on the ground so it wouldn't draw any more walkers.

right as he did that, the herd starting coming his way.

i sighed and got a tighter grip on my bow. dad helped t-dog get on the ground and he put a walker on him. then dad put a walker on top of him and faced me.

he looked me in the eye as the herd went through. he knew it would comfort me. once they passed dad pushed the walker off of him.

when he did that i got out of where i was hiding. i then got a t-shirt from the car i was hiding under.

i ran over to t-dog, who dad was assisting. "here" i said getting closer to t-dog. i wrapped the shirt around his arm and he winced in pain. i then tied it very tightly around his arm in hopes that it would control the bleeding. "come on, let's get you back to the rv" dad said to him.