chapter 3

i woke up to the sound of my dad getting up and walking around the rv.

i looked up at him sleepily from where i was laying. it was late. he got his crossbow and his clip from andrea.

"rae go back to sleep. i'm gonna walk the road again and look for the girl" he said quietly.

he then looked back at carol and nodded. "i'm comin' with ya" i said getting up and grabbing my bow.

"no, ya need sleep." he said pointing back to where i was laying down at. "i'm fine. let me come with ya" i said walking towards him. he sighed. "fine." he said quietly.

we left the rv and told dale that we were gonna walk around to check up on some things. andrea decided to tag along.

we went into the woods. all three of us had flashlights. dad has hope that we will find sophia.

no one else does. i don't to be honest. she doesn't know how to survive in her own.

"people get lost and survive. it happens all the time" dad said trying to defend his point. "she's only 12" andrea said. dad looked over at me hoping i would defend him. i sighed.

"i'm 13 and made it 2 months by myself before findin' dad" i said. andrea looked over at me and just shut up.

dad then told his story of him getting lost in the woods when he was little. andrea and i both laughed when he said that his ass itched because he used poison oak as toilet paper. dad looked down at me when i started laughing.

"ok you best shut it" he said with a smile. i smiled back.

we continued to walk through the woods, and we heard leaves rustle. dad and i both got our bows ready and slowly made our way towards the sound point.

we found a little camp that someone had. leaves were rustling because there was a walker hanging from a tree. "the hell" dad remarked. dad and i got closer to it while andrea stayed back.

the walkers legs were completely chewed down to the bone. walkers have been through here when the dude was still alive. dad then read the note on the tree.

"got bit, fever hit, world gone to shit, might as well quit" he read out loud. "that's some fine ass poetry" i joked.

"you have a really bad mouth" andrea said. she sounded like i personally offended her. "i'm a dixon. what do you expect?" i said rolling my eyes.

andrea then acted like she had to throw up. "go ahead if you gotta" dad said still looking up at the walker. "no i'm fine. just talk about something else for a moment. how did you two learn how to shoot?" andrea asked.

"gotta eat. that's one thing these walkers and us have in common. i guess it's the closest he's been to food since he turned. look at em. hanging up there like a big piñata. the other geeks came and ate all the flesh off his legs." dad said. that's when andrea threw up.

"i though we were changing the subject" andrea said wiping her mouth. "call that payback. laughing about my itchy ass" dad said. i grinned.

"let's head back" dad said turning to walk in the other direction. "aren't you gonna..." andrea said referring to the walker. "no. he ain't hurting nobody. he made his choice. opted out. let em hang" dad said looking at the walker. andrea walked closer to the walker.

dad sighed. "you wanna live now or not?" dad asked andrea walking closer to her. "i'll answer for an arrow. fair?" she asked making a deal. dad nodded.

"i don't know if i wanna live. or if i have to. or if it's just a habit." she said. "that's not much of an answer" dad said looking down at me.

"i ain't waistin' no arrow" i said to him knowing what he wanted. he sighed and then lifted his crossbow up to shoot the walker.

he then put his hand on my back. and we all made our way back to the rv.

when we finally made it back to the road, both carol and dale were on the top of the rv. one we were about a yard away from the rv, dad stood in front of me.

"you. get in the rv and go sleep now." he said in a 'parentally' tone. "ok" i said quietly. he gave me a kiss on the top of the head and i jogged back to the rv.

i layed down on the couch and shorty after dad came in. he layed down on his sleeping bag which was right next to me. "g'night dad" i whispered. "g'night baby" he whispered back.